Skip to main content

Task Forces and Tribulations

Sunday and Monday were another couple good days for City of Heroes and the Psi-Caster.

---Sunday alone with the ghoulies---

Sunday was relatively slowgoing because I was soloing again, but I managed to get another level all by lonesome (level 26). The most interesting thing that happened that day was my chasing around the giant florescent green menace of Talos Island, the Ghost Ship. Having some long dead sailors drive their intangible ocean fishing trawler down the streets of the city would be harmless enough, but they've a nasty habit of throwing junk overboard. By junk, I mean lots of pissed off sailor spirits looking to tear apart anything in their path with negative energy blasting powers. Individually and in teams, the heroes of Paragon cleaned the resulting ghost refuse, and I earned the appropriately named "ectoplasmic" badge aftre putting enough of the good sailors to rest.

---Massive progress monday---

Psi-Caster made far more progress on Monday because I actually took the time to group. I ended up in not just any group, but once again one headed by that accidental exile from the Rogue Isles, Saros (see a couple blog entries ago for his story). Together with Saros, Flagoon (a Controller friend of his and mine who got me into the group), and a bevy of various other players, we completed not one but two task forces. They went very fast, each one only taking about two hours, tops. Quite remarkable considering your average task force takes in the neighborhood of four to six hours.

The first task force was granted by Citadel, who spends his days standing right off the Talos Island tram ramp. I often enjoy the plots in task forces, but this one was rediculously simple: "The Council is building robots, stop them." That was the theme all the way up until the end, where it's determined that Vandal (some Council high commander type) needs to be captured. Done.

Part of the reason why the Citadel task force went so quickly was a common City of Heroes tactic known as "stealthing". If the mission objective doesn't require taking out each and every foe, somebody with invisibility sneaks around most of the intervening foes and (if neccessary) uses "recall friend" to bring the rest of the party where the neccessary fighting is. Superman would not be impressed. Sure, it saves some time, but frankly I'd rather battle my way there... at least while I'm still making experience points from the mobs. Ah well, at least there's a fairly hefty mission completion bonus, so I probably only missed out on about 25% of the experience the TF offered.

The second task force, popularly known as the "Hess" task force of Talos Island, was much more fun. For starters, the gutless wonder who was so in love with the idea of stealthing had left the group. However, the really cool thing about it was the scenario itself that included scripted events and this cool little encounter that awaits you at the end: a massive zenith mech!

I gained a level from the Hess task force as well. If you've been keeping track, that was level 26 on Sunday, and two levels on Monday, so Psi-Caster is now level 28.

Yet, even after all that, I found myself attracted to return to my Scrapper. Hello, again, Alt-A-Holicism, you bitch. Per usual, my originality muscles had a lot to do with my rejection of my superheroic identity: the group was rife with adequate Controllers in the team membership... over half the members, in fact. No team needs that many Controllers. To make matters worse, I don't think Saros (a Brute) really needed any of us around, he was sucking up and spitting out the aggro just fine. My contributation was practically nil.

So, as the day drew to a close, I played a bit of Nanites, my level 21 Spines/Dark Armor Scrapper. He needs to get the Terra Volta respec done ASAP, because he needs "Combat Jumping" to prevent himself from being immobilized and "Acrobatics" to prevent himself from being knocked around. Lacking built in immunity to those is the Dark Armor curse, and I ignored that on the way up. A travel power would be nice too - right now he's getting around Paragon City the old fashioned way: very slowly.

Yet, even this somewhat screwed up character was pretty effective. I teamed up with a Controller just a level under me and ripped his missions to shreds while his primary contribution was just holding things still (useful for Tsoo Sorcerors, mostly). I had forgotten the raw power that Scrappers possess, being able to take down an even-level boss mob in a few good strikes that would take my Controller about a dozen or so attacks with a pet summon helping to do. Sometimes, it seems that, for the majority of the time, City of Heroes doesn't need what Controllers offer. I know Saros could have done today's task forces just fine without me.

Maybe I'll stick with Psi-Caster until 32 (a mere 4 levels away) and play with the Phantasm before I decide for myself which of the two characters I would like to take to 50. That sounds like a pretty good course of action, but I'm still unconvinced. Even if it turns out Phantasm's damage is bad, Controllers are fairly cool in that they have such a wide range of varied abilities.

Another event of significance that happened on Monday: my supergroup is in the process of merging with a bigger, better supergroup. Both of my heroes have already made the transition to the new group. That's a good thing, because my old supergroup was probably not going to get very far with a theme of "lets form groups entirely out of Controllers!" I can see how those groups would function (extremely safely) but I imagine their damage output would be pretty pathetic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…