Skip to main content

Shifter Prime: Positron's Ally, Unleasher

Though I waffled a bit today, I ended up playing my Blaster, Shifter Prime, and making such progress with him that it left my other recent alts in the dust.

There it is in CoHDemo format, the last mission of Positron's Task Force. It's not very distinguishable from any other mission, but then it's not a very distinguished task force. About the only differentiating factor it introduces is mixed enemies on the same map and a few named ones. Why it is that Cryptic decided to introduce the idea of task force to their players with a long, drawn out, unbalanced, and not particularly interesting task force is beyond me. Perhaps Issue 9 will fix it.

Not that doing the task force wasn't rewarding. That it started out with less than half the team at level 14 was fairly worrisome as the minimum foe level in the Positron Task force is 15 and most of them were even higher. However, we had a very good group, with a 24+ month veteran doing the tanking and enough healing to keep us upright. It was a great configuration for me to do my stuff as a Blaster, and I went from level 12 or 13 to a bubble or two short of level 16. I've also the satisfaction of knowing that one of the toughest badges to earn in the game is now out of the way. In fact, two:


Behold, "Kraken", the rarest of the giant monsters in City of Heroes. It happened to be up during my task force's presence in Perez Park, and we beat it down for another one of the toughest badges to earn in the game: Unleasher.

I wish I could say that two tough to get badges and nearly level 16 was enough to get me to stick with a character. Yet, this isn't the first time I've done Positron, and I've thrown out far more badges and levels before. I'm discouraged enough with the progress I've discarded that I'm not even bothering to use a CoH badge site to rack up the exploration badges.

I did discover something redeeming about my Blaster's major perceived shortcomings, and that has to do with my group contribution. I felt that, as a Blaster, all I could really offer a group was doing damage. What I discovered to the contrary was this: There's something to be said for applying a lot of force where it is needed. Taking down threatening foes in a hurry is like a hold that never wears off. I've saved my fellow heroes a death more than once by throwing my cone knockback attack, scattering over a half dozen foes and in doing so buying the near-death hero the needed seconds they needed to survive. Maybe, just maybe, I have the finesse needed to make a Blaster work.

There's still some shortcomings left that threaten my commitment to this hero: I really can't endure retribution from a lot of foes, meaning I have to pick my fights carefully or get palsy with some tanks that are good at holding aggro. I have no status protection, rendering me helpless against holds and sleep attacks. Finally, like most heroes, I may have to invest three power slots in Stamina in order to function. Funny enough, all three of these shortcomings can be overcome with the right inspirations, but there's a certain limitation of supply that prevents that from being more than a stopgap measure. Ah well, the important thing is I'm having fun, and I think that I have today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…