Skip to main content

Apocolypse Genesis: Telon

In This Entry: Vanguard Combat Notes, Vanguard Tanvu Exploration, Vanguard Travel Abroad.

Yesterday's patch brought a slight tweak to the way Disciples function in that only critical hits light up the powerful finishing move. This naturally reduced Makkor's power a bit. I nonetheless appreciated that, as a player, I had to pay attention enough to know when I could use that attack.

If the other classes play half as interactively as my Disciples, Vanguard's combat is a step up from the other offerings on the market. Unfortunately, it needs a bit more refinement. Compared to World of Warcraft, Vanguard plays awkwardly and feels less sophisticated even though the actual game mechanic is better.

That refinement will be mostly post-release, it seems: It's the beginning of the end for Telon Prehistory, with Vanguard's beta drawing to a close January 23rd, a scant few days away.

To these ends, I decided I'd do a bit of exploring with Makkor. I completed work in some self-crafted handwraps that were considerably more powerful than my martial stuff to prepare myself for the coming adventure. I started with exploring the area further east of Tanvu, and eventually explored sea travel a bit.

The eastern Tanvu exploration wasn't done at my own pace, as I soon encountered a Ranger who was looking for assistance with a quest. Collecting this quest involved visiting a small monetary that was barren except for a dragon style Monk trainer. (Being a Disciple, of course, that trainer had nothing for me but I mention it for identification purposes.) Apparently there was an orc pirate infestation on a small island near the monetary, and this was where I was needed for assistance.

A Disciple and Monk joined our party and the quests were quickly completed under our four-strong efforts. The encounters on that island we encountered were of two (soloable) and three-dot (group only) orcs of about the 12th level. I, an 11th level Disciple (about one or two levels under the rest of the group) was the only one that perished during the proceedings. Fortunately, I had prepared for this by endowing my group members with a summoned magical item that could resurrect me. (An idea lifted from EQ2 and possibly WoW.) Having warmed up, I didn't die again after that. Despite not having much practice healing a group against foes this formidable, I was able to do keep the rest of them alive (albeit with a few close calls). This was thanks to the Disciples' powerful combination of spell cast heals (which take a little time to wind up), instant Jin-using heals, and my SeCrEt combination attack heal. Despite the game having been rebalanced to be considerably more soloable, there's an incredible amount of power to be found in grouping in Vanguard. If there were a defensive fighter in the group it's likely our group would have lost all instability, becoming an unbeatable machine capable of handling much stronger foes than these orcs.

Another time perhaps: Having achieved our quest quotas, the group abruptly broke up, not unlike what I've seen done in any casual-player friendly game. It seems that pickup groups that were destined to last several hours have gone extinct. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Besides, I had learned from my group members that the horse merchant I've been wanting to find was just a short boat trip from Tanvu.

Thus began a very long trek. I soon found the dock in Tanvu and sat down to wait. Really, the wait was optional, as there was a "rift master" NPC willing to teleport me instantly, but I decided I'd appreciate the novelty of the boat more. (I suspect those Rift Masters will be removed some time after release.)

The boat from Tanvu lead to a giant elf city on the south side of the same large land mass I started. Giant is indeed a good word to describe the city, as I witnessed many intricately shaped tree buildings as well as merchants on the ground. I saw quite a few NPCs standing around, and most of them I spoke to had some Diplomacy options that were about 230 points higher than my 20-point diplomacy skill was capable of handling. Clearly, this was an area expected to be frequented by mid-level characters, say 25ish.

I found my horse merchant idling at ground level next to one of the object of his trade, a horse. I had heard from another player that horses cost 50 copper, but that certainly wasn't the case here. The cheapest mount was 12 silver 50 copper. A lot cheaper than other games' mounts, sure, but I was about 4-5 silver short. I may not be able to ride a horse before the end of the beta.

Nearly at the opposite side of the side from where I entered, I then found another boat. It was a huge galleon, with a fully functioning captain's quarters that I could walk into. As the boat's design suggested it would, this one lead to a different continent European-styled continent. On the way, the boat traveled through a giant teleportation portal, suggesting much greater distances were involved: a nice touch.

I arrived at a dock quite some distance away from the bustling European metropolis on the rocky outcrops above, but there was a convenient rift master here to give me a teleport into the middle of the city. This proved to be the doom of Makkor's travels for the day. Soon after materializing in this second giant city, my Vanguard client crashed. I suspect it was simply overwhelmed by the sheer amount of model data I had it move through today.

In any case, I think I've satisfied my traveling itch. Telon is indeed a giant world, complete with with two continents more than any one character will ever need. Next time I log into Vanguard I'll see about getting back to Tanvu and earning enough money for a Horse before the end of beta. Adventuring, Diplomacy, and Tradeskills (via work orders) are all viable means for me to make some money. Maybe I'll go straight Diplomacy, as I think I may have heard of a free horse given to diplomats at some level.

Comments

Drew Falconeer said…
Hey Geld

I completed the Final tests of Jin today (you know, the quest that requires the beast of the iar, water, etc...). I got some money, some satisfaction and the title of Lao'Jin Knight.
The Falx was the only hard part, needed me to get level 11 to do it.

Nice questline.
I actually had my Nature of Jin quest derailed by not properly processing my completion of some of the steps. Hopefully that'll be fixed in release!

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…