Skip to main content

The Unbaised Vanboy

Once in awhile I like what I write well enough to cross post it somewhere. So, if you would, please pardon my vanity in the following MMORPG.com post. After writing it, I realized in retrospect that it provided a good summary as to where my apparent appreciation for Vanguard comes from...

---

Though my posts here on MMORPG.com have been predominantly supportive of Vanguard, I like to think that I'm able to sit somewhere in the middle.

I acknowledge that Vanguard does need improvement. If you're not paying attention, you can get stuck even in very heavily traveled areas such as major cities. Yet, they removed the /stuck command and gave us a /rope command: like the rest of the game, a novel but problematic solution. [Editor's Note: They restored the /stuck command with an exploit warning in today's patch after this post was made.] More worthy of critique is that large tracts of land seem to virtually unpopulated, their potential unrealized. Most importantly up until the very last hours of beta, systems of critical import are being patched in, and there will still be some left on the "to do" list even after release. I fully expect that my Kojani Diplomacy quest tree will be broken at a quest that, appropriately, involves communing with the dead.

Yet, even knowing all this, I preordered the game last night. I'm not made of money, it wasn't the kind of decision I can make lightly. It seems that as far as MMORPGs go, most of them are quite shallow and minimalist. That has been a source of perpetual disappointment to me. I burned out from World of Warcraft in 4 weeks - it was as a fun game, but as a MMORPG, fundamentally lacking in breadth and depth. MMORPG.com's podcast comparing World of Warcraft to "fast food" when you're looking for "fine dining" struck home with me. I don't care if the McDonalds of MMORPG does have 8 Million Served, I'm sick of cheeseburgers. Playing Vanguard over the last week, coming to appreciation with their more interactive interpretations of three spheres of adventuring, crafting, and diplomacy, I've come to find that there's fine dining to be found here. I've played EverQuest 2, FFXI, City of Heroes - excellent MMORPGs of their own right - but it's Vanguard alone that has me feeling hope for the genre.

In the end, it come down to this: What's fun doesn't need to be perfect. In time, the rough edges will be worn away by the persistent efforts of the development team. Vanguard is the most ambitious MMORPG in a long time, and I'm planning on "moving in" with my free time as it goes live. If you're looking for a polished, simpler game that doesn't meaningfully challenge you, there's always World of Warcraft.

---

In any case, Vanguard Beta ends tomorrow, 11:59pm PST. The next few posts will probably be about me gnashing my teeth about class to play... although, actually, I'm enjoying the Disciple enough I may well start another one in retail and stick with it all the way. That'd be a very auspicious start for me, as alt-a-holicism is usually the first step to my losing my groove in a MMORPG.

Comments

Drew Falconeer said…
Apparently we have the same issue with the kojan diplomatic quest: the honored dead take back the Verse of Piety and after you talked with him you can't complete the quest as you lack the verse. It's dumb, especially 5 days from launch. I bugged it multiple times.. and how are we (or anyone else) supposed to test the rest of the diplomatic quests if we are stuck at the very start? It's scary to say the least.
Drew Falconeer said…
Oh, by the way, what server will you be in?

Me and friends will be on Varking (Team PvP).
Yep, some problem with the diplomatic quest.

I haven't yet decided on what server I'm going to be on. Probably not a PvP server, though, just because it's annoying to get ganked when I'm busy with something.

I might start an alt over on Varking for when I'm in the mood for something a little more exciting, though. Better realm versus realm than FFA.
venuoms3 said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Links to gold selling or exploiting sites are not welcome here. I prefer people play games as they are intended.

Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…