Skip to main content

Calm Between Storms

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl turned out to be an excellent game. I completed it as an unfactioned loner on Stalker difficulty level. Though the game is touted to have about 6 endings, from what I've read there's only three major endings and I've done them all. I may yet play again, as there are quite a few side quests I could have done.

I tend to finish a lot more first person shooter atmospheric games than I do others, leading me to believe that perhaps that's my poison of choice. However, once they're completed there's rarely any reason to play through again. Here's looking forward to Hellgate: London, which may well prove to have the necessary components for unlimited replayability.

The next storm

This should be the last Blog entry I make on my K8VGA-M, Athlon 3000+ XP configuration. With any luck, I'll have a functioning Pentium 4 within the next few days. I hope this configuration change resolves the (apparently uncommon) issues I'm having with Jade Empire. That's likely to be my next major game to complete... perhaps with a bit of City of Heroes on the side.

Yes, though I haven't played it more than 25 hours over the last month, I'm still subscribed to City of Heroes. I've resubscribed to it enough times that I have to accept that it's "my" MMORPG. I just need to take it easy and not burn out on it.

Alt-A-Holicism: A Good Thing?

A late edit: I've been playing some City of Heroes this evening and early morning. In an unusual moment of clarity, I realized my existing top two characters are terrible overcompensations. In other words, these characters were not created with fun in mind but rather grasping for foolish ideals:

Psi-Caster, my Illusion/Weather Controller, was grasping towards as much power variety as possible.

The Nanites, my Spines/Dark Armor Scrapper, was grasping towards trying to take a Scrapper's high damage output and cross it with area of effect damage.

No wonder I haven't been playing them much lately. Because both characters were not created in the spirit of just having fun, they were doomed to become boring sooner or later.

Maybe alt-a-holicism is a good thing; Maybe alt-a-holcism is proof that true motivation comes from true feelings driving one's actions. True, by starting a new alt I might be throwing away all my progress I made towards level 50 and the Kheldian archetype that unlocks. However, level 50 would never have been reached if my existing characters are too boring to play.

In my reacquainting myself with the new character perspective in City of Heroes tonight, I've determined a few things that should help guide my future enjoyment in City of Heroes.

First, I determined that a cool character concept will go far. Despite the lack of variety in the Nanites' powers, I do like him for his interesting backstory. In a corner of my mind, it's the difference between logging to grind versus logging in to progress a story.

Second, I determined that Scrappers and Controllers are not appropriate for me. I desire both fast paced gameplay for immediate fun and interactive power variety for longevity. Each has either one or the other, not both.

Considering the second point, a Kheldian would be best, but a Blaster will do until I unlock them. While I have an existing level 16 Blaster, my choice to take Energy Manipulation as a secondary was guided by much the same logic that broke my Scrapper and Controller. So, next time I get a chance, I'll experiment with City of Heroes and see what I can do to meet this desire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…