Skip to main content

Enraptured with Oblivion

Between Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, performance tweaks, and the discovery of a particularly suitable custom character, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion once again has its hooks in me. Details follow.


Reading the changes list in Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, I was a bit worried that the mobs were no longer fully scaled to the player character's level. However, having had a chance to play with it a bit, I have to say that I enjoy the adjustment. Being discovered by an unbeatable foe means an exciting run to the nearest city. However, few foes are truly unbeatable, and I've derived gratification from overcoming challenges higher leveled than I. With that worry resolved, I've discovered that most of what Oscuro and company has done has been excellent. Not perfect, as there are things I could have improved here and there, but quite good.

Oblivion is only half RPG, the other half is an action game, and I've found that a high framerate substantially improves my enjoyment of it. There's many Oblivion performance guides out there, the original ones lost to the timeless Internet of yesterday, but I was impressed with the one compiled at Atomic Maximum Power Computing. Unsurprisingly, the most effective change was simply adjusting my resolution from a crisp 1280x720 to a somewhat blocky 720x480. (Of course, a computer upgrade would do the trick too, but right now that isn't feasible.)

I found the perfect character class for me. I realized that what I really wanted was a character that can come up with creative solutions. (That may be what I want in all games.) What I ended up creating in Oblivion was, for want of a better word, the "Infiltrator". His major skills are Acrobatics, Alchemy, Alteration, Conjuration, Mysticism, Illusion, and Sneak. No direct combat skills, all his fighting is done indirectly.

Through these factors combined, I've had some pretty exciting battles and adventures.

Foremost on my mind was a grotto of conjurers where my summoned creatures found an even match in theirs. These battles were protracted and unpredictable. At one point, I was outnumbered and fled to the road where I encountered a patrol of Imperial Legionaries that defeated my pursuers. There's that nifty immersive feeling Oblivion feeling. I eventually had to give this dungeon up - too challenging.

I also enjoyed clearing out a fort full of vampires with stealth Flame Atronach infiltration. It was here that I discovered the bow to be an excellent support weapon, at least against a foe I know isn't going to live long enough to resent my interference. The infested fort would remain the property of the overly glamorized unliving, as I had to flee before the extremely powerful Vampire Matriarch at the end.

The final excursion of the weekend was taking out hordes of goblins in the Three Feather Goblin infested abandoned mines south of Bruma. The Three Feather Shaman was far too powerful for me, and so I distracted him with my pet as I looted his camp. I'm surprised how well that worked.

Altogether, pretty fun stuff. I've only barely chipped the surface of my new characters' capabilities, and look forward to enjoying the OOO enhancements, the Knights of the Nine quest line, and (when it is released) the Shivering Isles expansion.

In other news, I picked up a copy of Gunstar Super Heroes for $9.99. That's quite a bargain for such a well rated game. A pity Warioware Twisted wasn't in stock.

In retrospect, I probably should have done more homework this weekend. I've a lot to do this week, but next week is Spring Break.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…