Skip to main content

Precursor of Grief

Some people say that money is the root of all evil, and there I disagree. Money is merely a means of conveyance - a root goes to the source. The source is simple greed.

City of Heroes, now approaching its third year anniversary, is a game that has little to be greedy over. There are three ranks of enhancements and everybody can get their hands on them in time, choosing piecemeal which is most important to them at the time. The enhancements are purchased with influence points, and the influence points run in a great surplus at higher levels. What's left the bicker over is "Hami-Os" - special two-origin enhancements that can only be gained from completing the super-mega-raid in the game. That, and who gets to have all the fun with building the super group's base. Still, there's not much to be greedy over.


Issue 9: Breakthrough is going to change that a bit. It adds rare, must-have (but not everybody can) enhancements and the rare components used to build them. It also adds auction houses where everyone can blow their horded influence points to purchase them.

I'm anxious what the result is going to be. How is an online society that has previously gone without true scarcity going to react when, 3 years later, a ton of scarcity is introduced?

I'm expecting blood.

Issue 9 is set to release "very soon", and with the school quarter ending I've got a front seat to the resulting train wreck. Cryptic employed some damn good game designers, but I think they underestimate just how powerful these kinds of incentives are. If only they knew, arenas and PvP zones would be a lot more popular.

On the upshot, I may have solved my alt-a-holicism woes for awhile. It's a simple set of parameters:
  1. I require a good amount of damage because sometimes I solo and I don't have the patience to take a half dozen rounds to down a boss.
  2. I like to have enough of a variety of moves to be able to experiment with new tactics.
  3. I don't mind being held, because that's what Break Free inspirations are for.
Parameter 1 eliminates everything except for Blasters, Scrappers, and Kheldians.
Parameter 2 eliminates the Scrappers and the vast majority of Blaster sets.
Parameter 3 allows me to play a Blaster.

So, given that I've not yet unlocked my Kheldian, definitely a Blaster. Preferably something with heavy tactical sophistication.

All that's left is to find that winning combination, and to those ends I've done a lot of experimenting over the weekend. I think I've got it narrowed down pretty well now. Surprisingly, /devices made it to the top of my list of secondary powers. The complete lack of melee attacks and the targeting drone (which frees up a lot of slots) introduces variety that the other sets can't match. If I can mix that with a staminaless build and that should meet my Parameter 2 needs just fine. Right now, I'm debating which primary set carries the most tactical sophistication. If a clear and decisive winner appears there, that should have my alt-a-holcism locked up but good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…