Skip to main content

Seeking Direction in a Rambling Journey

At three business days after they shipped, my GameFly games still haven't arrived. Perhaps they'll be here in another couple hours, perhaps tomorrow, but in the meanwhile: I'm bored. Maybe I should start doing my homework. Nah. Instead, I'm going to address a matter that has been bothering me a bit about this Blog, and that's I have no direction here.

"A rambling journey of present-day pixelated delights from a two decade computer game addict" is about as far as I can confirm.

Am I "attempting to find the diamonds in the rough of an industry made up of far too many imitators"? Well, if you interpret that was me playing a lot of games, even non-mainstream games, then the answer is no. I would love something new, and I keep my eye out for them, but I do not perform extensive research along these lines. I do end up playing the occasional weird gem (UFO: Aftershock, Odin Sphere) but this is just because a distinguished (and rather desperate) gamer is attracted to these things that evade the typical clone-fest, and not due to deliberate planning on my part.

Looking at the previous entries of this Blog, it's clear that for the most part I seem to be trying to find value in existing games. This is because I realize that, to an extent, unique and interesting gameplay is in the eye of the beholder. Most of my going on, and on, and on about City of Heroes alt-a-holicism is the very core of that: Is there a perspective that can make this game interesting? That I actually managed to get a character to level 50 a few weeks ago in City of Heroes, a game I was whining about a year ago on this Blog alone, indicates that maybe there is. If that doesn't strike you as fascinating, maybe you've missed the point: For the dispossessed gamer, it's like I turned lead into gold.

The origins of this Blog don't offer much answers. I started "Digitally Staving Off Boredom" because my first Blog was a mixture of my personal life and my gaming and I decided that it would be better to keep those things separate. That was a goal, to spare the people the boredom of my personal life and to provide something my fellow gaming peers can read without becoming embarrassed, but it was not a primary goal.

I recently changed my Blog description to "trying to find something that can actually entertain him in game industry made up of far too many imitators" instead. While honest enough that doesn't sit well with me either. So, back to the subject at hand, what exactly what is my goal here, anyway?

I guess, when you get right down to it, I write here just to write. It's a bit of easily accessible procrastination that actually produces some product on the net. Maybe nobody would actually buy this product, but it exists, it makes me feel a little more productive than most other things I could be doing. This product is, at least, very organic. It's honest, not prepackaged, not lying to you, this is one man's opinion about the games he plays. What's more, it's free.

So that'll be my new Blog description. If that strikes you as the least bit interesting, read on and enjoy. Currently, I only get a visitor once in a blue moon, but then, I haven't really bandied this Blog around much either. There are ways to bring more traffic. For example, I knew who guy was able to get some Slashdot traffic by submitting himself during slow news days. It's surprisingly easy, even yesterday's BioShock ruminations may be interesting over there on an exceptionally slow news day. However, in the end, I wonder if I should even care about popularity. It never bothered me before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…