Skip to main content

Unjustified Rants

A somewhat innocuous Gamespot News Post basically takes a poll of over 11,000 gamers and boils them down into categories.

Now, to an extent, categorization is a lie: Just because you label something as such does not make it so. However, the interesting aspect that I pulled from that article is that the type of gamers who play 40 hours a week make up less than 2% of the gaming population. The other 98% of gamers play 16 hours a week or less. Usually, much less.

Kinda makes you wonder about the viability of the ranter.

When you think about that, the hardcore gamer (or what this article calls the "Heavy Gamer") is a massive minority to the game world. We often grow frustrated about how games seem to be vapid and boring, lacking in depth and breadth, and otherwise lambast the entire gaming industry on developing games which can not or will not satisfy our hardcore gaming appetite. We've ranted about this at length, until our throats and fingers grew red and we finally concluded that all the good rants have been said. It does not seem to have changed much and we often wonder why.

These statistics offer a simple answer: It's not that we're being ignored, it's not that game developers couldn't do better, it's just that the hardcore gamer is an extremely small niche audience.

This is sort of depressing: My fix is being delayed by the status quo. Every little whining douche who says that "deep games bore me" (and I've seen one just today on a forum) is the reason for my delayed gratification.

However, perhaps I should rejoice. I can think of two good reasons why:
  1. Because up to 98% of games may be created for gamers who are considerably less "advanced in their habit" (an interesting way to put it) then that's 98% less games I ever need to worry about buying.

    In other words, acknowledging that my tastes place me at a considerable minority that game developers would target is freedom from believing there's that many games out there that would interest me. It's not from lack of looking, I'm not losing my touch, there really are not that many diamonds in the rough.
  2. I'm unique in that only one in fifty other gamers may have as advanced understanding of gaming as I do.

    I think that, in the long run, everybody who enjoys gaming is fated to eventually develop the same tastes as the Heavy Gamer even if they only play games for 16 hours a week or less. This is because, sooner or later, they're bound to exhaust themselves on the typical clones and be hungering for something new and interesting. The Heavy Gamer is already there, s/he's been there for months, years, or decades. They know where the industry will go because they live on the bleeding edge.
However, for the time being, I'm simply invested in a continual hunt for something - anything - that can whet my voracious appetite. To an extent, that's what this Blog has been about all along, one Heavy Gamer's attempt to do just that. Frankly, at times like this, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start developing indy games on my own. However, that's a lot of work.

Comments

josiah_august said…
You are on the bleeding edge of jack shit. It doesn't matter how many hours a week you're putting into playing games if 700 of them went into playing CoH. Based on your blog, the actual range of games you play is beaten by even some of the most casual gamers.

"trying finding the fun diamonds in the rough of a game industry made up of far too many imitators" my ass (smart idea not to proofread the first fucking thing people will see when they look at your site). You aren't out there looking for diamonds in the rough. Supreme Commander is about the only game you seem to have played that isn't mainstream.

Get your head out of your ass, start following your own damn mission statement, and stop pretending that you're some hardcore gamer when the reality is that a hardcore gamer would have taken the 1000+ hours you put into CoH and EQ2 and used them to actually experience a variety of games, you fucking hack.

Get over how many decades you've been gaming, and how many hours you spend gaming a week, understand that you don't have nearly the expertise in games that you think you do, and maybe you'll start writing shit that's actually worth reading. Read back through your blog and what have you really said? God knows how many entries devoted to making alts in CoH due to how bad the grind is (which people have been saying since the game released, quite a while ago). That Vanguard is so much better than people give it credit for (although apparently not good enough for you to make it past the first month of release)?

You wonder why nobody reads this blog? It's because the average gamer doesn't need 100+ hours of played time and several months of posts trying to determine whether or not they think Oblivion is a good game. You spend too much time overthinking the minutiae of a handfull of games, while a dozens of great original games pass you by as you bemoan how many clones are out there.

In other words, get out there and start playing some shit. Then come back here and talk.
I like this, this is good honest feedback. You mean every word and you’re taking time out of your valuable day to inform me where I’m going wrong. This is the kind of shit I need to hear. Somehow, in my editing of my tag line, I left a nasty typo in place and I just mentally skipped over it everytime I see it. Also, you seem entirely unaware of my qualifications and this is apparently important to you, so I'll have to do something about that. Thanks, I appreciate that. However, one good turn deserves another, so here's the fault I see in you:

I have to say that I can tell from your vitriol-spewing sentiment that you're one of those LTM-spinoff dregs who has spent so much time mentally masturbating in a pit of hate that your perspective is about as open-minded as a Neo-Nazi invited to a bar mitzvah. You don’t know art, but you know what you hate, and you utilize this perspective like a bludgeon.

It’s so like you douches to actually immediately attack the poster instead of the issue. I’m talking about statistics here, about how it seems that most gamers don’t game so much as 16 hours a week, and it seems that anyone who does makes up 2% of the population. Tell me why that isn’t significant, not why you hate me. Do you possess the critical thinking faculties to understand what is being asked here or is slander all you are capable of?

Much like your own tirade, I'm not saying this out of hate much as I'm tired of what I'm seeing.
josiah_august said…
"I’m talking about statistics here, about how it seems that most gamers don’t game so much as 16 hours a week, and it seems that anyone who does makes up 2% of the population. Tell me why that isn’t significant, not why you hate me. Do you possess the critical thinking faculties to understand what is being asked here or is slander all you are capable"

I told you why it isn't significant. The amount of time you spend doing something, isn't nearly as important as what you do with that time. The guy who rented Overlord and The Darkness this week and played for around 5 or 6 hours is more on the bleeding edge of gaming than the guy who is playing 30 hours of WoW every week. He has a better idea of where gaming is going than the WoW guy.

Would you listen to someone who claims to be a movie buff but only overanalyizes the same half-dozen movies, talks about the lack of originality in movies these days, and yet misses out on all the good shit that has come out in the last year alone? Because hey, he's already been around the block a few times. He doesn't need to waste his time actually watching stuff he hasn't seen yet, he just needs to learn how to enjoy the stuff he's already seen.

Seriously, just get out there, get a gamefly subscription or a blockbuster card or whatever, and just start experiencing some shit. Obviously you can't really do that with PC games, but those are the breaks.
I can see your point there, and I really should get my arse in gear and start a Gamefly account. It's just that I've played so many games that everything seems to derivative that it's as though I have an overall idea of the picture of gaming itself. But perhaps this is delusion and, if I were truly interested in keeping an open mind, I should play more current games rather than thinking I have games figured out.

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…