Double your misery, double your fun

Though there's still another 12 hours of it, Double Experience Weekend was a bit of a bust for me. I caught a nasty cold and have been transversing stuffy-headed, post-nasal drip misery the whole time. However, I did make some progress regardless, by focusing on trying out higher level powers on mostly retired alts.


The Nanites is a pretty cool looking hero, in my opinion.

First, I took Max Overkill, an Assault/Electric Blaster, from 26 to 33 so I could try out the Full Auto cone attack power. By itself, I wasn't too impressed - the Flamethrower I gained at level 18 was more effective in terms of cone size and damage-per-second output. However, few minions will be left standing when both powers are combined.

Then, I took Nanites, a retired Spines/Dark I could never bring myself to delete for sentimental reasons, from 34 to 35 in order to try out Oppressive Gloom. Disorienting half the minions around him definitely improved his survivability, but Spines remains a very slow, boring primary set. I stand by my earlier entry which says I prefer Dual Blades/Dark for my Scrappers.

Finally, I took Roboincarnate, a retired Robots/Traps Mastermind, from level 36 to 38 to give Detonator a try. This power is advertised as allowing the Mastermind to make a "strategic sacrifice" to blow up one of his henchmen for big AOE damage. In application, I found it blows up not only the enemy but other friendly henchmen, making it a very tricky power to use properly. Roboincarnate remains an extremely defensively-focused Mastermind, I prefer more the offensive melee henchmen these days.

Then, I took to playing a bit more Cabal Online. If skipping out on double experience weekend to play a free-to-play MMORPG isn't a sign that I'm ready to take a break from City of Heroes, I don't know what is. Granted, Cabal Online still has a bit of that new-game shiny for me, and I find myself strangely addicted to the timing-based mini-game that is the combo system. Part of me says it's not done with Cabal Online until I'm reliably stringing over 20-hit combos. Another part of me is getting just a bit tired of the quests, some of which require killing unique spawns multiple times, the majority just sending you after the same kind of foe several times.

Comments

mw said…
Are you going to try Age of Conan and/or Warhammer Online?
Age of Conan: probably. Warhammer Online: maybe not.

The thing is, I play games for the gameplay, and MMORPGs wordliness no longer makes this an exception for me anymore.

Age of Conan is promising some "innovative new combat." It's one of their core focuses. Whether it actually turns out to be gameplay I enjoy or not is yet to be seen, but at least it's got my attention.

Warhammer Online, on the other hand... I can see some gameplay videos of it up on GameSpot and I'm not impressed. The combat doesn't look all that different than the autoattack + hotkey MMORPGs I've bored myself of 50 times over. If I can't stomach World of Warcraft, it's unlikely I'll like this game either.

Of course, whether or not I like a game has nothing to do with how successful it's going to be.
vajuras said…
meh, not too excited about upcoming mainstream mmorpgs myself. I'm just tired of the traditional grind. Looking for something fresh like linkrealms, darkfall, or earthsiege
Hmm, Earthrise, W.e.l.l. online and Linkrealms are some interesting looking MMO, I'm surprised I had not heard of them before. They look to be highly ambitious, experimental projects and I hope they see the light of day.

Personally, I don't mind a good sandbox game. Games which focus on being a virtual world offer incredible opportunities for dynamic content, which is something I push for.

However, just because a game is a nice simulation of a virtual environment doesn't mean that it will neccessarily be fun to play. That's why it's important to me that the game developers be able to create an entertaining game and not just a simulation. To make the game fun needs to always be a higher priority than to make the game realistic.

In my interpretation, Ultima Online, the granddaddy of virtual worlds, had trouble keeping their players entertained. This snowballed into ganked getting out of hand because annoying other players became the most entertaining passtime. It got out of hand to the point where they ended up gutting a lot of the virtual worldly aspects that made it great. If they had prioritized adding more fun on the GUI level, that might not have happened. Of course, this is all speculation.
mw said…
Your UO history is completely the opposite of what happened.
Well, for it to be completely opposite, the game would have had to have started out closed-ended and limited, the players started ganking eachother it ended up in completely open-ended freedom. Since this is clearly not the case, you're going to have to be more clear what you mean by that.

Popular Posts