Skip to main content

High Stakes Procrastination

My "plan," such as it is, has gone relatively well. Lots of progress in City of Heroes, with Age of Conan looming in the immediate future. Granted, any peripheral progress has been downright lousy.

In City of Heroes, I achieved a level a day Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Level 46 appears to be the magic level in which everybody wants you in your group, because I found a number of excellent groups Thursday (Today) that (followed by a little soling) earned me three more levels. The Roboincarnate, my level 49 Mastermind, will soon reach the end of his advancement.

Upon reaching 50, I'd have brought both a hero and a villain to the maximum level in that game. I'll then be ready to allow my City of Heroes subscription to lapse - it's already canceled and due to expire June 9th. Will this be temporary or permanent retirement? Even I don't know where my whims will go, but I theorize I'll come back to CoH some time in the future and feel relieved I no longer have that pressure to take a villain to 50. (Oddly enough, I don't particularly care if I ever try out the Villain Epic Archetypes or not - Kheldians, the lousy hero epic archetypes, soured my enthusiasm for that.)

The Roboincarnate's "Final Form," tweaked on the costume
designer as of lvl 48, looks pretty badass in action.
Lots of stark blacks and reds are used in the design,
and the gun is a rare part granted from a badge.
This astounding City of Heroes progress has not been without cost: My Age of Conan character remains relatively deadlocked at level 46. I plan to focus a lot more on him... after I achieve my goal in City of Heroes. It's not that I dislike Age of Conan, exactly. The stakes in that game are just a bit higher than I'm used to. PKs regularly gank me, I've a pretty high-profile guild expectations, and (unlike City of Heroes) a meaningful end game exists.

Having higher stakes has a way of souring an enjoyable experience, in much the same way that any enjoyable experience can be soured by having a guy regularly pester you to participate in it. After awhile, I begin to forget that I'm playing the game because I enjoy it and start believing I'm playing the game because of peer pressure.

I'm pretty sure that such a belief would be falsely instilled by the involved pressures in this case. Age of Conan is a visceral, fairly innovative, and (above all) fun game. A bit rough around the edges, sure, but I've played worse games. I've hyped worse games. In a way, Age of Conan's problem has been that it has been too fun - too exciting due to the stresses surrounding it - for me to feel relaxed enough to play it.

That shouldn't last too much longer. When my eBay sale closes, successful or not, at least that will be off my mind. When I hit 80 in Age of Conan I won't need to worry about leveling anymore and I'll be at the top of the PvP food chain. At the rate the game seems to go, I could have a maxed out AoC character by early to mid-June.

Yet, there are matters looming in my life that are more important than gaming. My computer's old, something punctuated by slow frame rate in both AoC and CoH, and pushed past the point of acceptable suffering by frequent crashes in both games. Upgrading computers takes money, and I'm coming to grips with the likely possibility that my laptop isn't going to sell.

Bottom line: I need a job, and all this time I'm spending gaining levels in a MMORPG are sorely detracting from the time I should have spent gaining levels in real life. I regret to admit it, but it seems I have no idea how to put my foot in the door when it comes to getting a job. For now, as the 31-year-old homebody, that's mostly funny. However, one nasty twist of fate later, being unable to get a job when I need one loses its humor. I'm taking it pretty seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…