Skip to main content

Bored Enough To Seek Gainful Employment

Well, I never thought I'd happen, but I'm thoroughly bored of gaming in general. I'm not sure what flipped the switch: Poor showings lately? Excessive stir-craziness? In any case, I've signed up with some temp agencies, who seemed very impressed, and may soon be toiling away as a vigilant hired cog in this great machine we call capitalism. The scary thing is, I think I actually look forward to work more than gaming.

That's not to say I won't enjoy playing games from time to time, of course: Old habits die hard and wanton obsessions even more so. Lately, my blunted gaming appetite has been lightly toying with a family movie game (Wall-E for the PC) and a couple of Mario DS titles (New Super Mario Bros. and March of the Minis).

I recently rated the version of Wall-E for the PC rather well. I liked the movie, the game was cheap ($20 new), and the reviews looked better than the next-gen console version. Upon installing the retail version, I discovered a relatively decent game with a nice feature set. As you can expect from a game based off a G-rated movie, it's mostly geared for kids, but the overall quality is good enough that even adults can get some simple entertainment out of it.

I've both New Super Mario Bros and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2 : March of the Minis from GameFly right now. It's not the two games I would have preferred GameFly send me, not only because it's Mario overload but also because my Nintendo DS already had enough going on with The World Ends With You in it.

Nonetheless, they're both pretty solid DS games. New Super Mario Bros is exactly what it says on the tin: another installment of the classic Super Mario Bros series, tweaked with shiny new game features that make good use of the hardware. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis is actually quite similar to Lemmings, with a static world and geared for play with a stylus.

Despite the quality of the two DS games, I'm really not interested in either. I've had more than my fill of 2D platformers. March of the Minis holds no appeal to one who has already bored of Lemmings. Besides, neither is really a match for The World Ends With You. My boredom might extend to gaming in general lately but, regardless of the cause, it seems GameFly is going to be getting these games back sooner rather than later.

I guess we'll see how things will turn out. In any event, If I can start pulling down some decent money I might have the money to discuss games that are a little newer. I might even upgrade my PC... assuming my gaming situation improves enough to care. (The only reason I can think of doing it right now is because it would be nice to play through BioShock with high detail and good FPS.)

I'm honestly considering saving up the necessary money for a copy of Adobe Flash CS3. Flash makes simple game creation ludicrously easy, and I've good enough of a grasp of programming to pick up ActionScript 3.0. To start making one's own games seems like the natural evolution for the gamer who can no longer enjoy others'. The only trouble is Adobe Flash runs something like $550-$700. Ack!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…