Skip to main content

Bored Of Everything. Lets Blog About It!

Whatever happened to that "productive" time when I was churning out regular Blog entries?  Well, to a great extent, I got apprehensive about my content.  Realizing that nobody wanted to hear me talking about being a City of Heroes altaholic for well over 50 posts I decided to not post unless I had something of value to say.  Yet, the truth of the matter is, the criteria of value is a largely subjective thing.  I might as well yack about whatever I care about in the present moment and, if it seems like it's simply not worth your time to read, what kind of procrastinator are you?  As much as I'd like to churn out quality posts ala Lum The Mad, I've never been particularly good at goading myself into productivity.

 
Internet, your attention span sucks, so here is the only trailer to Katawa Shoujo you'll ever need.

Speaking of whom, taking my bearings just now, I see Lum has a new forum up over here.  His is a little Internet subculture I'd been involved in from time to time and, looking back, I see these as being rather awkward years for me wholly because I cared a lot than anyone else on that board and came off the fool more than once.  Considering the once great fandom of LTM has largely dispersed across the Internet (likely having their free time occupied with having real jobs and families, the poor schmucks) the post count really can't keep up with my level of contribution without me diminishing the fun everyone else there, so it's best I stay away and let them have their fun. 

Whatever shall I do with my spammy self? I'd try Escapist Magazine's forums but (years ago) I managed to accrue 4 moderator warnings for snapping at the 16-year-olds that dominate their forum, and it only takes a cursory glance to see that any sane person would.  No, Zac, I don't wish to discuss whether I'd have sex with an opposite gendered version of myself.  The Escapist moderation and badge-awarding policy has truly produced an atrocious place, but at least there's still Zero Punctuation. The MMORPG.com forums aren't much better: the moderators have sided with the self-entitled brats that make up the majority of their forum and consequently it's no place for intellectual discourse. In the end, I guess I might as well stick to discussing about ponies.

 
Fucking ponies. How do they work?

A lot of cool things have happened in the gaming world since I last blogged.  So much, that I don't particularly care to wrack my brain trying to remember them all, so lets focus on the present.

Currently, I find myself playing Star Wars: The Old Republic wholly because I'm tired of nearly every MMORPG being about fantasy.  You know what?  Star Wars is still cool, even after three dull prequels and a previous MMORPG that first forced you to be a moisture farmer and then told players they could not anymore. All you need to do is look at the Knights Of The Old Republic and Clone Wars to know that the Star Wars IP is just fine provided you stick to action/adventure.


SWTOR Arena-based PVP: This will be your end game, at least for the time being.

A pity that Sci-Fi creative difference from the fantasy fare has been largely soured by cribbing Blizzard's World of Warcraft much harder than is truly necessary.  And yes, I know about Meridian 59, EverQuest, ect.  But seriously, they've got ability trees and global cooldowns identically balanced to WoW, what more do you need to know that this was deliberate cloning?  Sure, tried-and-true works, but (from an innovation standpoint) they should have tried to do better than watered-down WoW.

However, I don't hate the game.  Fact of the matter is I'm perfectly alright with them going that route so long as I'm moderately well entertained, and the up shot about having Bioware make an MMORPG is at least they put a lot of focus on telling the story.  (Granted, the story itself is fairly predictable if you assume the point of any Bioware story is to introduce some companions and be given the opportunity to tap some opposite-sex (and sometimes same-sex) ass.)  I'm even alright with the on-rails space shooter sequence, given that I've seen the alternative in Star Wars Galaxies and that was no X-Wing.


SWTOR Space Combat: PEW PEW PEW! Works for me.

Would that I could get myself to enjoy Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, I might have a bit of a diversion to get into between grinding in SWTOR.  However, once you get high enough level in the game, it becomes clear that the developers neglected to finish it.  With the smithing skill you can make weapons and armor that are about fifteen times more potent (not exaggerating) than anything your NPC opposition will be using, making destruction magic obsolete. It bothers me that illusion magic stops working past a certain level of foe: way to thumb your nose at any player that dared specialize in being a master illusionist.  I've been trying to get back into Skyrim lately, but I honestly can't think of any one path (Warrior, Mage, or Thief) or hybrid thereof that would entertain me long enough to finish the main plot line.  I'll likely continue to try.

Finally, we have my recent infatuation with League of Legends.  I'm fairly new to the DOTA clone market, and I have to say that I enjoy the chess-like quality and real player skill that goes into this game.  Of all the contenders in this market, League of Legends is probably the slickest-executed in terms of providing variety and player accessibility.  The alternatives tend to be either buggier or have a higher barrier of entry.  Free to play as welll, it's little wonder League of Legends has more active players than World of Warcraft.


The video title says it all, really.

I'm looking forward to Planetside 2's beta.  We'll see how that turns out, but I imagine a free-to-play updated Planetside will go swimmingly well, provided they managed to nail their net code down to the point where warping doesn't undermine the fundamental gameplay like it did in the original.  I recently gave the original Planetside another spin and was stunned at how dated it looked, as well as reminded that charging the same tower over and over again is both ridiculously monotonous and completely wastes a great deal of the potential of a virtual world space by removing the point of there being that space.

Comments

Vetarnias said…
Ah, here you are. I was wondering why you didn't join the new Broken Forum, and remembered that you had this blog. So, hello.

In retrospect, I think you made the right choice in not joining the new Lum forums. They've quickly been taken over by the Quarter to Three expatriates, and now it's all about old quarrels and trying to iron out all the wrinkles from the old uniformity they had at Qt3 -- in other words, iron out all the people like me who weren't at that other forum and couldn't care less about the politics there. I know I've landed on several people's ignore lists as a result of my views, and it's a waste of time to just try to make people listen to you if they've already convinced themselves to be on the correct side of the conversation. It's also not a fun forum to read anymore, just a bunch of statistics being traded back and forth. In other words, it's nothing like Lum's abortive effort of last year. As a matter of fact, I see very few names from Lum's blog comments using the forum.

I don't know why, but you were one of my favourite comment writers at Broken Toys, perhaps because I sensed in you not only a strong dedication to video games but also an acute realization of their futility. I'm sorry if I'm offending you, because if my depiction is accurate, I'm exactly like you. I think you alone would be able to understand why the question "What will you be playing when you're a senior citizen?" (as was recently asked at the Broken Forum) leaves me utterly depressed -- depressed at the possibility of a world of gaming from cradle to grave, where the question of whether I will want to be playing games as a senior citizen is no longer valid and earns me the reply that I've written a "awful, pretentious, empty-headed post". Yeah, depressed, like I'm watching that horrendous Jane McGonigal TED Talk all over again.

None of these people actually understand the most basic truth about me. If I had been warning people off the drink, I would not have been the stern temperance league chairman who's never tasted alcohol, nor would I be the recovered alcoholic urging others to do like me; I would be the terminal alcoholic dying of cirrhosis, trying to warn people off so they can avoid ending up like me. I have reached the point in my life where I feel I have wasted my best years on video games, and think it's too late to see a reason why I shouldn't likewise waste those I have left.

And so, Geldon, I understand you perfectly -- the boredom, the procrastination, the desire to step away from video games while being unable to do so (not for reasons of addiction, but because you can't think of a better way to waste time). I'm also looking for a proper forum where video games are discussed, but I can't find one. MMORPG.com is awful and sporadic (besides, how many threads on the decline of the MMO genre can you tolerate?), The Escapist is juvenile and petty, and the other places are beneath mention.

Oh well, guess I'll continue roaming here and there, but keep on writing your blog; I'm enjoying it. I'm also looking forward to that game which you are working on.

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…