Skip to main content

All Is Forgiven, Sims 3

If I can get part of the raging amoeba that is EA (specifically, the part that used to be Maxis) to poke its head up out of the piles of money that came from the rapid-fire release of a series of DLC at nearly the price of the original game (because apparently having a micropayment store built into the software was not enough) of a fabulously popular Sims franchise, I just wanted to let them know that, contrary to my previous complaints about Sims 3, all is forgiven.
Why are you looking at me like that, EA Maxis?  My wallet is empty.
I finally managed to get Sims 3 to run by deleting everything and then using my lovely cable Internet connection to redownload every single expansion (not the stuff packs) onto the hard drive in which it belonged, and the patcher ran on the very first time because I knew to modify the shortcut and run it in administrator mode, so there's my primary complaint addressed.  Granted, Sims 3 still has a lot of bugs, and it'd be awfully nice if they fixed them but, after playing it fairly heavily over the weekend, I was rekindled with what I really like about the Sims 3.

Namely: there's a ton of stuff to do in this game.  The Sims 3 is actually the most comprehensive simulation of mundane everyday life I know of.  Sure, you can freely run around in an expansive environment and shoot other soldiers in a game like ARMA, but can you struggle with raising a family of four as a single parent who is a full-time cop with a lifetime wish of mastering painting, sculpting, and inventing?  No?  Well, in the Sims 3, you can!
Although the murderous exploits of Jim Pickens are probably as good as it gets.

When Sims 3 is working well enough, the biggest problem I have with it is that it's too easy to settle into a boring regular routine... perhaps this life simulating is doing slightly too good a job of it?  

This is especially if you're a weenie like me who plays the game with aging and story progression disabled, because the relentless march of the reaper is no longer a problem and it's unlikely anything will happen to stop your sim from achieving absolutely anything your heart desires.  Hence, my initial complaint, that the Sims 3 isn't all that challenging, is partly my fault...

...but then again, it's not like the reaper is that hard to thwart in The Sims 3, especially if you have as many expansions installed as I do:
  • The Sims 3: World Adventures does not age your sims at all while they are traveling abroad, and eventually you can even buy them their own homes away from home, so you've a very generous portion of extra time you could spend developing your sim's skills.
  • The Sims 3: Generations "Age Freeze" potion (given from a lifetime reward) and the Sims 3: Supernatural "Immortal" lifetime reward simply makes the sim simply stop aging entirely
  • The Sims 3: Generations also allows Sims with 10 logic to craft a potion for 5,000 simoleons that makes them a young adult again.  The Sims 3: Supernatural introduces another kind of chemistry, alchemy, that includes a "fountain of youth" potion that returns the sim to being a young adult again, and is often found being sold openly in the elixir store for a little over 500 simoleons.

What other Sims players do to make the game challenging for themselves is start a challenge game, which are basically you set a lot of arbitrary rules on yourself.   "Legacy" challenges are fairly common, the most vanilla being to simply see a family through 7-10 generations, but there are more complicated things you can do.  For example, a challenge might be to breed a family with children who exhibit a certain physical trait. 

So I guess I'll need to invent a challenge for myself.  Lets start with the style of gameplay I like: a central, independent character (I'm an introvert by nature, after all)  and this scenario sort of plays like a roleplaying game.  However, having just one character is as easy as it gets, so how should I make this more challenging? 

Hmm... here's an idea for the parameters I'll set:
  • Aging enabled, roughly "standard" age, maybe a minor adjustment if I decide things are going too slow or too fast.  The reaper will be a factor, so I'm not allowed to get the "Immortal" or "Age Freeze" lifetime rewards.  However, I will be allowed to utilize other means of becoming "young again," such as craftable potions and elixirs... actually, the elixir consignment store makes this a little too easy to do.
  • Story progression enabled.  So yes, all the other little sims I'm not controlling from other households will be up to who-knows what.  That's good: a little chaos helps to make things challenging.  Besides, I'm going to need a lot of extra sims for this...
  • Lets make things more interesting.  My sim needs to seek out a soul mate from a list of available bachelorettes in town, never just creating them myself, and either move into their home or have them move in.  Each soul mate's Lifetime Wish must be completed and, because I'm seeking them out amongst the populace of the town, I won't have control over what that lifetime wish is.  
  • The soul mate is never deliberately fed means to stay young, but they are allowed to autonomously do it on their own.  Naturally, our windower will have to deal with that every time one passes away (but he'll probably be so festooned with glorious home accouterments that his mood won't dip overmuch).
  • Every time one of my sims' soul mates pass away, the protagonist has to undergo a life state change.  I'm starting off as human, perhaps for the next life state I'll be a Simbot, using the conveniently-provided potions and other means to convert a sim.  Some states, such as Alien, can't happen without cheating... I might cheat to make those happen, but I'd prefer to stick to in-game methods if possible.
  • The challenge is complete when I'm out of new life states and have several urns, each containing the ashes of one soul mate per life state.  For bonus points, my main protagonist's lifetime achievement wish is "Descendant Of Di Vinci," which means he'll have mastered inventing, sculpting, and painting.  This is significant because part of the challenge is to try to keep a painting and statue of all of his soul mates.
That sounds like fun - lets give this a shot!  I guess you could call this the Whovian Challenge, as it's sort of like I'm the immortal Dr. Who going through several reincarnations.  Heck, I'm not even much of a Dr. Who fan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…