Skip to main content

Out Of Sync With Planetside 2

Playing Planetside 2 as of the March 1st 2013 server merge was supposed to be fun but, instead it introduced some optimization code that... well, generally makes the game completely unplayable for me.

There's a great big thread about how the issue with de-syncing in Planetside 2 may be caused by various CPU/BIOS issues. Unfortunately, none of those solutions seemed to work for me.  Naturally, I was a tad ticked at SOE at this point because no other game has this problem, and I play a lot of them.  I expect Planetside 2 to be as compatible with my computer as any other game.
The final, glorious insult that put this over the top for me is this "known issue" where my weapons simply stop working.  The thing is, I know I'm already everybody else's punching bag in Planetside 2 simply because I'm a F2P player who, due to SOE's iron grip on decent certification gain rates, is at a significant disadvantage versus paying players.  Now, because my weapons fail to work due to bugs, it's like I'm being handed duds as a practical joke

Well, anyway, fast forward to the next day, and a friendly Internet denizen named Shasbot found out what was ailing me.
It's Asus's AI Suite software.  The solution, as it turns out, is to uncheck the "sensor" button on the configuration
Some homebrew software known as WinTimerTester proves it makes a difference.  With that sensor checkbox disabled, WinTimerTester stabilized at about 1.0 QPC/GTC Ratio after about 50 seconds. With the sensor checkbox enabled, WinTimerTester stabilized at about a 1.0020 QPC/GTC ratio at 50 seconds onward.  Removing the AI Suite II software completely caused it to stabilize at 0.9998 - 0.9999 QPC/GTC at about 70 seconds onward.

SOE's not completely off the hook, however.  I'm pretty sure the server merge hotfix introduced some kind of code that caused this desyncing to occur at a mere 1.002 difference in QPC/GTC ratio when it did not previously.   If it turns out that it was actually some kind of anti-cheating code, I'm not sure who to blame more: SOE or the cheaters.

For now, at least, it seems to be working.  A 2 hour test under heavy load (high server population) is relatively comprehensive, especially when the warping would begin well inside of 30 minutes before.  However, I'll try to update this entry if I notice that the problem returns and if I was just lucky.  [Edit: Two days later, so far, so good.]


Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…