Skip to main content

Procrastinating Unto The Depths Of Space

I am such an accomplished procrastinator that there are times in which a few days go by and I wonder the how and why of it.  Let's see if I can piece it together.
Procrastination is a problem that bothers me enough that I got bored of the usual adult books I read on the subject and decided to checkout a book that is actually intended to be read by kids on the matter, "See You Later, Procrastinator! (Get It Done)."  As I suspected, the advice within this book was the same you would get in a more adult book, somewhat talking down to a kid's level, but also more to the point and less padded with the more adult books' example-heavy nonsense.  I honestly prefer this book, despite being talked down to.  However, there's still a great deal of difference between understanding the methods and adapting the practice, and my habits are currently very much engrained in the wrong direction.  "Habit" is the key, really, it's mostly a matter of having a productive routine.
Since my last entry about DC Universe Online, I had played all of one day of it, whereupon my fickle preferences (which bewilder even myself) settled upon at Batman-like character after all, and he went from about level 10 to level 18 in a single day - DC Universe Online is a game where you can hit the level cap inside of three days if you stick to the same character.

I have doubts I should even bother, because I know the end game of DC Universe Online is going to turn out to be the same as every other MMORPGs' end game: grind for gear while dealing with the typical elitism to be found in the established higher-level players.  In a way, this is a testament that the DC Universe Online developers knew what they were doing well enough to not only innovate upon what the MMORPGs that came before it did, but also to bring the DC Universe Online up-to-date with the cutting edge failings of the best in the business.

Actually, it's kind of brilliant how DC Universe Online is designed.  They developers knew they basically had two audiences: the people who were just looking for a fun experience that they would drop when they get bored of it (essentially the audience that treats MMORPGs like any other game) versus the other audience made up of hardcore MMORPG gamers who were willing to run a treadmill indefinitely provided they were continually introduced to bigger and better loot down the line.  To these ends, the former were given a game they could be done with in three days, and the latter were given a duty interface that gave them quick access to all the PvP/PvE grinding scenarios they could want at the push of the button and lots of cool gear to find for.

What bothers me is, if that's all the same old MMORPG equipment-grinding rut is all I have to look forward to at the end of DC Universe Online, why bother?  I might as well play Guild Wars 2, Rift, or even The Old Republic, for all it matters.  DC Universe just the same routine, maybe a bit more actiony than Rift or The Old Republic, maybe nicely streamlined due to the duty interface, but otherwise the main distinguishing characteristic is the fine coat of DC Universe everywhere.   I tend to look forward enough that this was never truly far from my mind, and that's a factor that makes it hard to settle on a character: I know all about that nasty end game that's waiting for me.

So I'm talking about what I was doing and, at about this time, I also played enough Planetside 2 to go ahead and splurge some of my discount-purchased Station Cash on a few weapons.

I picked up the skyguard turret for the Lightning light tank because it's really rather decent against all targets - it does decent damage against ground vehicles and with faster projectiles that arc less, and you can even kill enemy infantry with it if you're good enough of a shot (which is amusing because a lot of people toting rocket launchers seem to think you're helpless against them).  Of course, the skyguard's real forte is to confound enemy aircraft, which it excels at, albeit a single skyguard turret is still not not quite as effective in damage-per-second vrs aircraft as a MAX carrying two busters.  Pairing a Lightning's speed with a Skyguard's range makes a positive KTD ratio pretty much inevitable, but targets are relatively few and far between.
This guy's skill puts me to shame, he makes a TRAC-5 S look outstanding.  But, in my defense,
he's probably getting three times the frames per second I do - I generally play at about 20 FPS.

I also bought the TRAC-5 S because it is the only engineer-wielded weapon to have a grenade launcher.  Honestly, it's a rather awkward gun to use.  Yes, it has a pretty decent rate of fire but, like the default TRAC-5, you're not going to be able to out-DPS anyone with a real weapon.   For me, the whole purpose of having a TRAC-5 S is that underslung grenade launcher, which can take out enemy infantry in one shot on a direct hit (no easy feat) but also can damage heavy tanks.  Most importantly of all, you can reload your own ammo as an engineer, and this applies to the underslung grenade launcher, so I can functionally do unlimited damage to enemy tanks... if they let me (which virtually never happens).  All things considered, I probably should have bought an AMR-66 and an AV Mana Turret, this would have also accomplished a goal of having an engineer with both unlimited infantry and unlimited enemy vehicle handling capability while being overall better at damaging both.

Following that Planetside 2 and DC Universe Online binge, I was called in to work for a day, which is always good for me.  But, after work, I found myself concerned that I seemed to have that very familiar pain in my gut that I just finished extinguishing with antibiotics.  So much of yesterday was spent deeply concerned that I would once again find myself in a situation where inhaling overmuch or laughing would cause a twinge of moderate pain down there.  Fortunately, it seems it seems to be receding somewhat now... I think it was aggravated by working for 7 hours while wearing a belt.  My doctor does not seem too concerned - I'm scheduled to get it examined at the end of next month.

While all that was happening, I simply did not make any time to play games.  Instead, I mostly screwed around on forums, which is as much an utter waste now as it ever was.   However, following seeing a series that Kikoskia was doing on Kerbal Space Program, I gave the demo a spin, and was rather impressed at the game.  It's a fresh new formula of game wholly based on the funnest parts of NASA's exploits.  I'm not sure I'll play too much of it, though, as I kind of want to do more than just tour empty planets and space.  I think I want Cowboy Beebop, the procedurally generated RPG... I'm more likely to make it myself than to see anyone ever make it, and that's a shame considering how bad I am at procrastination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…