Iron Men In The Fire

Whew!  The tougher half of the work week is over.  A substitute does not know when and where work will be available.  Sometimes, I can go without a chance to work for a week or longer.  Other times, I can end up working six times in a single week... and this has been the case this week!
Exhausted LOLCat is on my blog, cute-enabling my thumbnail for this entry.
The sudden transition has been a bit of a trial, but I have to say that there's no satisfaction quite like driving home knowing that I had the opportunity to help some people today.  Had I not taken these hours and simply stayed at home, I'd have merely sat around, playing games (or being bored trying).

Speaking of which, my free time has been unusually turbulent as well, as the last few blog entries can attest:
As of this writing, I'm still hooked on Marvel Heroes, although I am concerned with some recent additions that have been introduced into the closed beta. (I'm pretty sure the NDA is still dropped so I can talk about them.)
  • They bumped up the difficulty.  I enjoy a challenge, but this sudden change has actually disrupted the flow of content consumption in the game to feel a bit more like a grindy slog that necessitates revisiting old areas in order to level up your character sufficiently to proceed in the story.
  • They removed the ability for players to see popup floating text for their damage numbers, which makes it much more difficult to keep track of exact damage being taken or inflicted.  As a player who likes to feel in control of the game they are playing, this has been very difficult for me to accept.
  • They added additional pages to the bank slots to the game, which is good because there are a number of things you will recover while playing that you will want to store.  However, they gated the bank slots to be micro-transactions, which can be acceptable if it is done right, but an annoying stumbling block if done wrong.   In not giving the character-centric bank slots to players who have bought that character, I feel they are currently being done wrong.
  • Iron Man ended up overly nerfed in the current build, to the point where a lot of players are complaining he's simply impossible to play.  Unfortunate for me, because I invested in the "Avengers Assemble" Founder Premium Pack looking to primarily play Iron Man as my initial main!
Marvel Heroes is still beta for another three weeks, it's not too late for the developers to do something about these mistakes before the game is released.  I hope they do, or else Marvel Heroes is going to end up being a marvelous game that got away due to some last-minute boneheaded developmental decisions.

Judging by how ridiculously well I was doing with him during open beta, maybe Iron Man was in need of a nerf... still, that was a lot of fun.

Then again, even if they keep making these kind of mistakes, I will probably still play it at release, but it just will not resound nearly as strongly with me as it did on that initial open beta weekend, and I likely will move on to something else sooner.

Comments

Popular Posts