Skip to main content

A Day Late And A Dollar Short

A few years ago, I was working on a project that would be a bit like Dwarf Fortress but with an interplanetary exploration theme.  Then whatever strange fugue affects my game development hit me, and it ended up on indefinite haitus.  Fast forward to today, and... RimWorld is happening.
It seems somebody else had the same idea, but better motivation to actually see it done.  They even thought of the virtual game master mechanic.  Granted, I suppose the Left4Dead director popularized that idea somewhat, anyway.

Well, good.  I wanted to play it eventually, I'm glad somebody is getting around to it.  The implementation looks rather nice, too.  Who knows?  Probably better than I would have pulled off in the magical fantasy land where I was capable of being anything but an utter failure.

Moving on to the "dollar short aspect" of this blog entry, I blew half of my biggest paycheck I will get all year in the past couple days.  $100 went to medical bills.  I've paid Kaiser Permanente $150 now for a dental coverage that was never used, but it should happen this month, finally.  The remaining $400 went to computer hardware.

I'm now expecting a lovely passive 3D monitor.  The Asus VG23AH might not be perfect: I hear the 3D mode has some cross-talk and you can see scanline interfacing.  Also, I understand monitors that have IPS technology can have a bit of bleeding, but maybe I'll get lucky.  Yet, every review I've read on it reports vibrant colors, and honestly I'm sort of disappointed with the colors on the monitors I've owned in the past.

So why did I feel the need to buy this monitor?  Due to a bit of hardware issues I'm facing in the here and now:
  • My current main computer monitor, a Viewsonic VX2268wm, looks good enough in day-to-day use, but I find that 3D Vision 2 is too dark without Lightboost technology (which the monitor lacks), and its maximum resolution is 1680x1050... I really didn't know that being 1080p compatible was a thing when I bought this monitor, and I was a few pixels short.
  • My right-side monitor is a hand-me-down Proview AY765C that actually appears to be mildly busted.  I think it's not getting enough power to the panel, because the screen wavers fuzzily (some times more than others) and even the highest brightness setting is dull enough to require a software gamma boost.  As I said, it's a hand-me-down, and I picked it up when a better LG monitor I used for a side monitor had a capacitor blow.  Anywho, it's a standard definition 1280x1024 monitor, and somehow that's just not enough resolution to get anything done on the side anymore.
So the new setup will be that the Viewsonic VX2268wm gets demoted to being my side monitor and the Proview AY765C will probably be recycled as the broken hardware it is.  My new Asus VG23AH will be the main monitor, and I will mostly benefit from its 1920 x 1080 resolution.  I believe that the extra desktop space will particularly be useful when working in Game Maker, an application in which I frequently encounter text crowding on the right side that has me wishing for that extra 240 pixels.  This is to say nothing for having an extra 400x26 resolution on my right monitor.

If I spent $400 on that monitor, you'd be right to lambaste me.  Actually, the monitor is rather cheap: at just under $200, it performs nearly as well and has the feature set of monitors ten times its cost.  So even if the 3D is poor, who cares?  It's only about a $50 difference between this monitor and an entry-level 1080p monitor, and when you factor in the additional features this monitor has, the passive 3D feature is practically free.  The other $200 went to upgrading my video card (and shipping for both the card and the monitor).  This was mostly necessary because the monitor requires HDMI 1.4 or better, which my current video card does not have, and the performance boost will be a nice bonus I'd otherwise have lived without.

My current video card is a hand-me-down GeForce GTS 450, which does a surprisingly good job running modern games considering it's about three years old.  It seems to be clocked at the standard rate, it boasts 192 CUDA cores, and according to passmark it's the 92nd fastest kind of video card on the market right now. 

The new card will be a GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost, released just 6 months ago.  A word of warning: there's world of difference between the GTX 650 Ti and the GTX 650 Ti Boost: the former is a budget card to the point where even some 400-series cards out-perform it, but the latter actually has some decent muscle to go with that budget price.  The Boost packs a respectable 768 CUDA cores, and passmark ranks it at the 26th fastest kind of video card on the market.  I also made sure to get a 2GB ram model (which explains why the price ended up being $175), which is good because that much video ram seems to be the recommendation of many hardware gurus right now.

The SLI option was the magic bullet that made this happen: I really doubt I'll need that much performance, considering the kinds of games I play aren't all that performance intensive (and it's actually hard to find many PC titles that are), but should I be proven wrong in this regard, the clear upgrade path is there.  To make a worthwhile purchase out of that, I would need a card that actually performs better when paired than a single card that costs twice as much.  As it turns out, the 650 Ti Boost would appear to be such a card.  Consider also that the 600 series is new enough that it won't likely be obsolete any time soon, and I'm sold!

Overall, I still consider myself "a dollar short" - or, more accurately, $400 poorer than I aught to be - because of what I'm ultimately getting out of this.  I didn't need additional performance, all the applications I use run just fine as it is.  But, if I have to upgrade my video card anyway (for that HDMI compatibility) then I might as well have a bit of fun.  So I'll have a little more desktop space to play with, my right screen won't shimmer anymore, and the games I could already run just fine will run over twice as fast... $400 is a steep price to pay, all things considered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…