Skip to main content

Putting The Bureau Away

My game development efforts remain stymied and, with them, my sense of self-validation.  Two days off may not have been enough, as I'm still not back to my jovial old self: a fellow who was only too happy to be working considering the alternative was moping around the house waiting for his support structures to drop out beneath him. I might be quite polite at work, but I'm feeling a bit surly right now.  I think it may be wise to keep my hours scaled back until I either find an acceptable home:work balance or build a better understanding of how to juggle so many needs.
I was up until 10pm last night finishing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, just as I thought I would.  I am honestly not sure what Jim Sterling was complaining about: the Bureau was fine.  For the most part, it's a game with a great combat mechanic that not only imitates Mass Effect, but improves upon it considerably.  Sure, your NPC partners need to be babysat, but they're babysitting you, too: it's a teamwork mechanic that is no more heavy-handed than it is enriching.

At worst, perhaps the worst sticking point for The Bureau was the down time between these action sequences ran a bit long.  Walking around the secret X-Com base chatting up NPCs was not particularly entertaining because the travel time was long and what the NPCs had to tell you was usually obvious.

I thought the story was alright.  Sure, it was clique in places, but it got the job done.  It had the interesting plot twist in that (spoiler space, highlight to read:) the actual protagonist of the game you play is an ethereal, a floating energy being with tentacles that allow them to control others. You don't know this right away because the ethereal is born at the beginning of the game, when a mysterious artifact Carter is transporting explodes in a scuffle.  The ethereal (and you) then takes control of Carter, bringing him back from the brink of death (much to his confusion) and the symbiotic relationship is such that it (and you) does not know of its own existence outside of Carter until he learns of it.  Soon afterward, Carter goes AWOL, struggling to free himself from the ethereal, and this disgorges you from him controlling him.  You actually end up finishing the game with one of the other characters while Carter acts like a real pest, introducing characterization to him from an external perspective you'd not normally get in a game like this.  Well, I thought it was cool, but this would probably go over most peoples' heads.

It only took me about 17 hours, according to Steam, to finish The Bureau.  That puts this $50 game in clear violation of my, "$1 per 30-60 minutes of gameplay" investment strategy for entertainment.  Even replay value seems unlikely, as the game is just a gauntlet of completely static scenarios separated by a map screen, and there's virtually nothing left of it that I did not see the first time through.  In the end, I can't say my time was wasted, but I might as well have waited until the game came down to $20.

Well, now that The Bureau is done, what next?  I could get back to trying to develop some games, or...

Given how unlucky it's been, perhaps this should have been the 13th Final Fantasy..

Considering what I've been through lately, the desire for escapism runs rampant.  To these ends, I'm considering whether I should give Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn a serious shot.  Being the newest MMORPG cut from the cloth of being largely without instances, and perhaps the most atmospheric we'll have for half a decade, it's certainly a good choice in the genre for me... assuming I even have it in me to go through the same old MMORPG grinding experience again.  
Why do I even need to update the server list?!  Can't you remember it
from the last time I looked at the server list?!  Apparently not.
As it happens, I am being rescued from my desire to procrastinate by Final Fantasy XIV's launch-week woes.  The problem is that the developers grossly underestimated the number of players who would be slamming their server, getting ten times the expected players.  Consequently, Final Fantasy XIV's server problems seem to be getting worse, rather than better.  In the last entry, I complained of being unable to log in to a server of my choice, only logging in successfully once in many attempts.  Now, I can't even pull up a list of North American/Europe servers anymore.  So I'm basically being prevented from even trying to log in.

Eventually, these issues will be ironed out... but I'm on a time limit!  Final Fantasy XIV is running a welcome back program for players like me, who bought the original box: we get to play, subscription free, until September 9th.  If the servers are going to be slammed from now until then, I'm going to have to shell out a monthly subscription to even try to get into the game.  As badly overloaded as the servers are, the developers may well choose to stay the course with this plan, thereby shutting out the freebies and seeing what remains.

Despite these issues, this game has some really awesome cinematics, decent gameplay, and an overall production value that makes me really want to keep trying to play, even if the game itself is so inaccessible.  Others, less jaded about gaming than I am, may feel this even stronger than I do.  No wonder the servers are getting such a pounding this weekend.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is going unplayed tonight.  I barely made enough time for it last night to dig up a few fossils before the Nookling's store closed for the night.  I'm updating this entry now just 7 minutes from closing, and I decided a good night's rest is more important.  I suppose it's a good thing I'm running the beautiful town ordinance, as who knows how long it will be until I return?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…