Skip to main content

Crafting Minecraft Mine #2.5: Tech Harder

So I did, indeed, start up a new game of Minecraft.  But it seems Resonant Induction, despite being rather cool, is still a tad too unstable to use, even if I avoided the "filter" blocks, so I ended up restarting again after tweaking the mix:
  • I re-added Minefactory Reloaded because it has some fun machine blocks and it doesn't really break anything.  I went ahead and added Nether Ores, by the same creator, while I was at it... it certainly makes invoking the wrath of zombie pigmen worth the risk.
  • Also included is Minecraft Comes Alive because the idea of enhancing stock Minecraft villagers is a good one... even if I haven't found any villages since I started using it!  Using a preexisting seed would be an easy fix, but it's just more interesting having to do it the hard way.  
  • I added Applied Energistics, which is a rather cool mod all about adding holographic storage and retrieval for all the crap you end up recovering in Minecraft.  
  • Finally, a little something called waila, short for "What Am I Looking At?," which adds a variety of tooltips that help to tell which mod is responsible for adding what, as well as other useful information to the game.
Basically, what I have here is an personalized version of Tekkit that also includes ICBM, Somnia, and Mekanism.  Of course, there's dozens of other little differences (such as not including Computercraft, qCraft, or Thermal Expansion) but this is the main gameplay-changing things.

The new mod mix seems to work well.  I'm noticing the hostile monsters are wearing a lot more armor and weapons than they were before, and am interpreting it to mean that I probably removed something that broke the dungeon chests before.  Duplicate ores from the various mod packs are kept to a minimum, and seem to be surprisingly compatible with eachother.  About the only changes that had to be made was one blockID from Calclavia core and the tweaks to Modular Powersuits mentioned in the last entry.

Speaking of the last entry, I was wrong to say that Galacticraft has a very exclusive power system that does not play well with other power systems.  Actually, hooking up Galacticraft aluminum wires and coal generators has worked fine with most blocks I've found from other mods.  I was confused because they weren't working with a the electric generator from Resonant Induction... I think that particular block is just not fully implemented yet.

The current star of my 1.6.4 mod pack is Mekanism.   It was an unexpected sort of thing: I actually find myself hooked to this mod primarily due to the superb presentation.  The machine blocks, such as the metallurgic infuser, make rather lovely noises when they're doing their work, and the energy blocks have a rather cool special effect of a spinning energy cube.  Quite remarkably, Mekanism seems to roll with a wide variety of mod mixes, having pre-existing formulas to smelt nether ores and even unifying energy systems with parts like the universal energy cable.  I've barely even started with this pack, but it's just a joy to see the parts in motion.

Currently, my plan for Minecraft-related procrastination goes something like this:
  1. Build a cool home base with sections broken off to play with all the cool mod parts.  (Standard Tekkit plan.)
  2. Since I can't find a village, make a village by capturing zombie villagers and curing them.  This might be fairly easy thanks to the inclusion of safari nets by Minefactory Reloaded.   Make a nifty NPC population to populate my technological marvel of a metropolis.
  3. When I'm ready, use Galacticraft to go to the Moon and Mars.  I suspect I can use the Applied Energistics blocks to facilitate transport of items between them.
That should keep me pretty busy.  Starting next Monday, I'll have a new schedule that merges my days off each week, and I'm planning on looking into what I can do in the name independent game development with that kind of time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…