Skip to main content

Twice The Tumultuous Travels

When we last left off my "exciting" adventures in WildStar, I just couldn't make up my mind what character to play, but I was thinking maybe a Mechari Warrior Scientist would suit my mindset the most..

If only the mental pool churned by the persistent agitation of cognitive dissonance were so easily stilled as that.  Instead, I actually made a spreadsheet to try to score classes and come up with their appeal rating... a spreadsheet, gentlemen!
A spreadsheet like this is the logical way to resolve altholicism, but the all-too-difficult crux is in fathoming one's personal preferences as a simple numerical value.  Try as I might, they ended up scoring very similarly... so much for that idea.
Sunday night, I briefly played the Mechari Warrior Scientist, but my faith was almost immediately shaken when I discovered that the Scientist path was not at all required to unlock the achievement in Levian Bay.  The secret can be found in the large room behind the caretaker, but this is a mere hint.  So I decided to roll up a Chua Esper Settler.   Less than an hour later, I made it a Cassian Esper Settler.  There was no time to play him; it was time to sleep.

Monday morning, I had slept on it, pondering aspects such as armor versus combo mechanisms and other strangeness.  I then consulted my spreadsheet, juggled some values, and noted that Medic seemed to consistently emerge at a higher score.   But would I be content with my existing Medics, both lingering at the traditionally unlucky level 13, a Human Settler or Mechari Scientist?  No!  I sent them both to the bitbucket and rerolled a Mechari Medic Settler.

By noon, I was thinking that the "Mechari Medic Settler plays so well to me that it seems I may have arrived at last."  But then a bunch of things happened in that dreaded dimension known as, "real life."  By 7pm, my confidence was shaken by the strange happenstance of being in a pickup group with no tank and me being the only one willing to heal... and yet I ended up being the only one in the group willing to throw the first punch at the Webwood Queen boss mob.

There are days when playing a homicidal space rodent
can appeal... but, for me, these were not among them.
By late Monday evening, I decided to have one character per class, and hopefully do no more rerolling.  If I could pull that off, then there could only be progress.  (The only reason why I have done so much rerolling so far is because I was trying to stay on the same server and there is only six character slots per server.)  It was looking like a Cassian Engineer, Mechari Medic, and Chua Esper, and perhaps the other three classes would be on the Exile side just for the variety of it.

Tuesday morning, I decided to give the Esper a serious shakedown.  For quite some time, I wrestled with whether I really wanted him to be a Chua or a Cassian, these being the only Dominion racial choices for this class.  The Chua have a license to be as nuts as they like, but the Cassians have the benefit of not having to relate to playing a psychopathic space hamster.  I ended up deciding on the Cassian for primarily fashion-based reasons... but then, considering that Esper end-game armor is so ridiculous, I might well have stuck Chua.  Oh well, at least I got to roleplay a fop.

The True Cause Of My Altaholcism Revealed?

Lo and behold, my new Esper was solidly my character of choice through the rest of Tuesday and the entirety of Wednesday.

I had undergone an important realization while playing this class: what alienated me from all the characters I became involved in so far was a lack of difficulty coupled with a long grind to where the difficulty might be found.  Consequently, it was boring, and I just didn't have the patience to reach whatever level the real difficulty could be found (probably 20-25).
However, because the Esper had the advantage of being a lightly-armored fellow, his inherent difficulty could be found sooner rater than later.  Here is a character who is tough enough to play that I could enjoy the game right off the bat.  Could it be that I had finally arrived on the class I'll take to the endgame, after all?

Alas, by late Wednesday evening, I had three valid complaints for my now-level 17 Esper Settler:
  • Too many of these pickup groups are hopeless.  I believe I could lead them better as a tank, the fellow in front that directs combat, than a healer, the fellow who keeps hopeless people upright a little longer.  Espers are healers, not tanks.  Honestly, I need both roles, and chances are I'll complain about the lack of the other regardless of whichever I play... but it was worth a shot, I guess.
  • The Tailoring trade skill, required to make my Esper's light armor, did not sit right with me due to a lack of associated gathering skill.  My tailor was thoroughly dispossessed, no need for another gathering skill, but trying to advance a second crafting skill destroyed my meager savings. If I played a class that did not wear light armor, I could have a solid matching pair of trade skills.
  • Most importantly of all, the difficulty was gone, I was now good enough at playing an Esper to solo my PvE content just as easily (if not easier) than the other classes I had played.  Consequently, the Esper lost the biggest edge he had over the other classes, at least as far as piquing my interest was concerned.
Damn, so much for solidarity in my designated flavor of the WildStar experience.  Part of me figures I'm being silly: if difficulty is the main hangup, then just grind until 20-30 and it probably can be found regardless of class, so character class doesn't really matter, right?  The rest of me shouts this down: if I'm taking a character all the way to 50, I damn well better be sure it's one I'll be happy with when I get there!

Here he is: the last, best hope for me to
enjoy WildStar... you know, as long as I
don't invent some flimsy excuse to try
to enjoy WildStar in some other way.
So here I was, Thursday morning, pondering my options and kicking those cognitive dissonance feet furiously in the pool of my consciousness.  Lets see here...
  1. The Armorsmith/Mining trade skill pair was about as solid as it got, so I wanted heavy armor, and that would be either the Warrior or Engineer.  
  2. The tiebreaker between those two classes was ultimately that I had already gone to level 17 with the Engineer, and found it faceroll, but I had not gone this far with the Warrior, so it was still worth investigating.  
  3. As I'm rolling Dominion, I think the best-looking race for the Warrior are the Mechari (beauty being in the eye of the beholder, of course).  As I already had my other five character slots full of Settlers, why not go Scientist and get access to that sliver of new content while I'm at it?
Put it all together, and that's a Mechari Warrior Scientist... 

...sound familiar to you?  It should: it's the choice I had made at the top of this winding tale of self-discovery in WildStar, back in time for me to barely get one day of play out of it instead of the four I should have.  Oh well.

I rerolled my existing level 7 Mechari Warrior Scientist because I decided I would rather start from the other set of Dominion starting maps, opposite my Esper, and level 7 was less than two hours of play anyway.  As of this writing, it's working out alright, he's about a quarter way through the Deradune zone, at level 10 now... but the jury is still out about whether I will be content with him by the magical level 13-17 that seems to be death for my new characters. 

Considering I had just played a massive load of WildStar over the last few days, I decided to take a break this afternoon.  Then the sister came over with the nephew and niece, not-quite-gradeschool age and clamoring for attention from their uncle.  Welp, between that and my part-time work schedule, there went my free time this weekend, so this self-inflicted misery will have to resume next week.  (This will also lead to a delay in getting my JLARSR feature out.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…