Having Drawn Bored

If I am ever going to accomplish anything of value in my indie game development endeavors, I will need to finish a game.  However, it seems that there is a flip-side to that.  Today, I have decided that, if my progress is ever this badly stymied (as it has been while I have been binging on anime) then I probably need to take things back to the drawing board.

What am I making: A sandbox game with lots of dynamic content and other emergent game mechanics.  A pretty ambitious undertaking for a novice game developer, true, but honestly that is all I am really interested in making.  There is no doubt in my mind that I am past the need to generate simple prototypes at this point, especially because the tools I am working in make simple prototypes as easy as falling off a log.  I want to make something that pushes the way we think about games in some way or another.

What am I making it in: Currently, I am using Game Maker Studio because I believe it has more flexibility for procedurally generated games than Construct or Clickteam Fusion.  (Ironically, I managed to trick myself into buying them all.)  I am tempted to move to LibGDX because programming in a far more robust programming language lends a great deal of power to my ideas... however, at this point I think realizing quick prototypes is more important than that.

I am going to need more details than that: While I could probably come up with 1,001 complete designs off the cuff, I am trying to find one that resounds strongly enough with me to want to see through.

My previous project was mostly looking to follow the footsteps of Ultima V because I felt this was a really robust RPG engine that was abandoned too quickly as the series continued.  Ultima VI abandoned the overmap and, while this was possibly more immersive, I feel this impacted a number of core systems in a negative manner.

Yet, as the progress continued, I felt that simply aping what Ultima V did well was foolishness, and the more I deviated the more I realized that I started off on the wrong foot by beginning with that foundation to begin with.  The robust narrative engine I would like to have cannot be realized on an interface designed to work on PET computers.

In other words, in my journey to be an indie game designer, I took a wrong turn and ended up at a dead end.  Then, rather than turn back immediately, I stared at the wall hoping if I grit my teeth at it long enough, it would go away.  Well, it didn't. So now I need to turn back and try something else.  The important thing is to keep moving.  To these ends, I need to curb my habits back towards dabbling with the tools.

Comments

Popular Posts