Sometimes, The Miracle Is Just To Be Here

Due to a family crisis, I was too busy being worried to accomplish much in the way of "digitally staving off boredom."  I was afraid.  I was anxious.  But I was not bored, it seems.
http://ricksmithphotography.photoshelter.com/image/I0000NrcUvsOmwig
I did get a very basic impression of two Wii U games before I decided I was too anxious to really enjoy the Wii U right now and sent them back to GameFly.

The first was Hyrule Warriors, which is basically a cross between the Dynasty Warriors series and the Legend of Zelda series.  In practice, it is essentially the former painted in the style of the latter: you pick one of many ridiculously good fighters to control, then go to town on a battlefield full of soldiers, but everything in now a Legend of Zelda person, place, or thing.  Well, almost everything: this game was made by Team Ninja, so insert a bit of Dead Or Alive style cheesecake and artistic talent into the mix.  Consequently, Hyrule Warriors is, at times, just a tad too pop culture Japanese. 

Though the game was fun, I actually ended up bouncing off of it pretty hard.  The constant violence and metal soundtrack grated painfully against my stressed nerves.  Yet, even if I were at the peak of my well-being, my mature sensibilities were annoyed a tad by just how much of a blatant power fantasy it is.  The Dynasty Warriors formula presents battlefields as being full of shy soldiers too afraid to hit each other, so you just wade in and beat the crap out of everyone.  Exactly how am I supposed to be proud of a "KO" count in the hundreds in these circumstances?

The second game was Mario Party 10.  If you have ever played any Mario Party game, then you know the drill: it is just a dice-based board game played with four players (some of them CPU-played if you have less than that).  The main highlight is dozens of mini-games, each a fun party activity in itself, each with a Mario series theme.
Mario Party 10 was not a bad game, but if you've ever played a Mario Party game to death, you have already played most of this game to death as well.  This is forever the crux of the Mario Party series, it seems, and the reason why this one only scores about 65% on review aggravates despite technically have nothing wrong with it.  Hyrule Warriors was a much more interesting game in comparison.

Comments

Popular Posts