Digging Too Deep

This weekend, my primary focus was the same as the last two: space mining and some other entertainment to break up the monotony.  

That may change because I finally reached my penultimate goal in Elite:Dangerous of earning access to an Imperial Clipper, basically the sleekest ship in the game.  
Oh, she's not the biggest and best ship in the game, that honor belongs to the Anaconda, a ship whose hull costs about seven times as much.  In fact, the Python costs only twice as much as a clipper and outperforms it in every way (except speed) while fitting snugly on a smaller docking pad.   So the only thing "penultimate" about the Imperial Clipper is that it is arguably the best looking ship in the game, and has a slightly higher cruising speed to show for it.

Perhaps more importantly, it's the last one I plan to grind long enough to get.  From here on out, the diminishing returns for grinding exceed my comfort level.   If I bother to play at all, it'll just be for a little space atmosphere and expecting nothing in return.

In text-based virtual worlds, no one can hear you swearing.

As I hinted at in the last entry, I was interested in playing Caves of Qud, and did so.   

It's a fun little post-apocolyptic roguelike, rich with flavor text illustrating an interesting world and unusual game mechanics such as mutations.  In what other game can you be a four-armed turtle gunslinger capable of spawning temporal clones?

That said, it's far from a perfect game.  I find the RPG aspects of it to be a bit rudimentary, the skills you earn are essentially just perks, so the character power progression curves unpredictably.   Enemy balance is also a bit lopsided, liable to spawn instakilling foes where previously only leveling fodder could be found;many a cheap game over awaits.  However, it's an early access game, so it's forgiven.

You've risen my hopes and dashed them quite expertly.

I also have begun to take an online class in Unity 3D.  It was marked down from $197 to $10 with the right coupon found via reddit.  So far, it's indeed an online class: nothing but lectures, PowerPoint slides, and a message board.  Still, short of taking a live class, this is probably the easiest (wimpiest) way to learn how to use the powerful IDE, but after all my waffling perhaps I ought to just forge ahead on the smallest incline available.
Sensing I might be making progress towards usurping its entertainment potential, reality has rudely destroyed my working operating system.  Worse, it did so in a classic fashion where a mortal is tempted too much power.  

I was tempted to migrate my four-drive RAID 10 array to a RAID 5 because that's still pretty decent data security but also has the potential to be reading from three drives instead of two.  Post-migration, I discovered that I dug too deeply: while the drive managed to keep its data in tact, Windows 7 would have nothing to do with my RAID 5 shenanigans.

So I decided to stop being so fancy and just reinstalled Windows 7 to my fifth, 128 GB, SSD drive.  Performance is all around better with the OS running on a SSD, but I shall forever be plagued with the need to manually redirect everything that's not system-crucial over to the D: drive where the Raid 5 is. Lemme tell ya, a LOT of stuff wants to come live on the C: drive whether you want it or not.  One of these days, I'll shell out for a terabyte of SSD drive space... but not today!

Windows 10 is out, but I won't be migrating to it until I know for certain my RAID drivers are compatible with it.  Otherwise, I lose the data and space that dwells on my newly-merged RAID 5.  I would hate to have to start over again.

Comments

Popular Posts