Fair Enough Complacency

Not much ado as of late.  I've upped my work hours in hopes of building confidence in my self-sufficiency, whilst playing games that are such surefire entertainment sources that they lack the intrigue of a potentially bad game.

Witcher 3 has been spoken of enough already in the prior entry.  Good RPG content continues to be good.  I chip away at it like a mouse going at an unguarded cake, simultaneously exalting in the rich caloric feast whilst despairing at the hopelessness of the prospect of possibly consuming the whole thing in one convenient sitting.  Though I could easily find fault in Witcher 3 as I could anything else in life, the game is pleasing enough to the palate, but it's so huge I can't help but wonder if I've better uses for that time.
As fate would have it, Hand Of Fate went on sale, and I snapped it up with full expectations that an unlimited adventure generator poising as a card game could hope to have.  It is sublime enough, designed for convenient half-hour sittings per game, each run delivering an unpredictable mix of narrative, chance, and active combat that borrows from Arkham Asylum better than Witcher 3 did, but it's still far from the original's fluidity. 

More invested players than I might build their decks with ideal play experiences in mind (perhaps a deck full of combat encounters) but I have thus far been stacking mine for maximum token earning potential.  Each token grants more cards at the end of a session, regardless of whether or not you won, and each card unlocked only enhances the potential diversity of future sessions.  

Overall, Hand Of Fate is a procedural generation adventurer's wet dream, so what more could I ask for?  More fluid animations?  Less awkwardness in the flow of utilizing the cards?  A choice of dealer for those who can't stand an iconic mysterious fortune teller?  Sure, all of these things, but such cosmetic concerns are secondary to a well executed game.  I hope Defiant Development continues to deal an excellent hand.
http://screenshotdaily.com/satellite-reign-developed-by-5-live-studios-a/
Satellite Reign is a reasonable fusion of real time strategy and a four member squad combat game with RPG trappings.  It takes place in a living cyberpunk city, a setting not without some representation, but one nevertheless feeling sorely underplayed to me.  How could I resist such a concoction?   It has all the megalomaniacal appeal of seeking world domination combined with controlling, not one, but four immortal champions in a lovely sci-fi trapping.

Alas, Satellite Reign lacks in the fundamental variety of activities that "open world," has come to mean to advocates of that genre.  For me, repeatedly infiltrating the same guarded compounds with heavily armed cyborgs (on both sides) has not entirely lost its edge.  However, that's all there is to do, and I can see how this could become repetitive fast.  Perhaps it is just as well that the game could be completed in a weekend or two.

This said, I have enough nagging worries about life to feel distracted from my entertainment as of late.  Why aren't I making my own games?  Could I feel content enough living on my own and trying to play games?  Should I feel content enough to play games at all considering my younger brother is doing so poorly lately?  For all of the above, the answer is, "Perhaps, perhaps not, but writhing in self-doubt does not conduct good living."

Comments

Popular Posts