Merciless Poseidon

Sometimes, when disasters come, they come in deluges.  The reservoir tank of the upstairs master bedroom set off a chain of events that has thoroughly impacted the sanctity of the time I'd rather spend digitally staving off boredom.
http://www.andyparkart.com/

In fact, things have been overpoweringly damp in general around here, triggering landslides, record rainfall, and even a tornado which (despite inflicting no injuries) has made national news out of sheer rarity.

Given what I've been through, to tickity tackity away on my lovely computer's mechanical keyboard is heavenly, despite the fact that the room was otherwise stripped of furniture by the flood damage mitigation company.

It was equally divine to be able to boot up Elite: Dangerous and do a simple asteroid mining run.  I would say that, despite having an end game that generally lacks of worthwhile activities, Elite: Dangerous is among the better games I have for simple escapism, the atmospheric feel taking me out of my tragic present-day circumstances.

I'm considering plonking down $50 on the upcoming Horizons expansion (which is still in beta), but I am a bit put off at the general slowness in speed in which Elite: Dangerous has been developed.  The improvements made to the mining system (mostly a refinery that manages itself better) were great, but late in coming considering how important they are to the gameplay experience.  This incredibly immersive game surely makes money, Frontier Development is no newbies at the game development business, so why does everything take so long to make?
http://games.ucla.edu/resource/game-maker-tutorial-1/
Inspecting a single element in GameMaker Studio.
Developing in GameMaker Studio is the opposite of Elite: Dangerous: it's not a very immersive platform, but development is damn fast.  Granted, Construct 2 or Clickteam Fusion are even faster, but I think they sacrifice too much in terms of flexibility because not many users are going to be interested in coding extensions. 

I have been attempting to learn to use Unity 3D, mostly due to the relative power of C# and the coding IDE integration, but ultimately I have decided it simply takes too long to manage all the elements in Unity 3D.  It's like trying to get good at using The Gimp when MS Paint will suffice, but that analogy breaks down considering that GameMaker Studio has a great deal of functions that do things you'd need to code for yourself in Unity 3D.
https://code.google.com/p/bitverse-unity-gui/
Inspecting a single element in Unity 3D.
So it seems I want to make 2D games while enjoying the occasional immersive 3D game.  But mostly I just want more time to myself, as my free time is impacted badly enough without a new crisis every weekend.

Comments

Popular Posts