Skip to main content

Straining Towards Fun

No Man's Sky has already fallen off my priority list of games to play, and it didn't even have the indecency to suck, it's just kind of bland.  Bland textures rendering a universe that, if the procedural generation gods so smile, might produce something to briefly transcend its blandness.
I am not even bothered by the blandness so much as the overwhelming lack of challenge.  Everything you get in No Man's Sky is pretty much handed to you.
  • Resources?  Shoot a rock, any rock.  
  • Technology blueprints?  Look in a random direction and there's usually a tech dispenser of some sort.  
  • Upgrades to your multi-tool, ship, and exosuit?  Literally a matter of just lucking out and finding another, sometimes with some resource grinding and selling required to afford it.
Why does this bother me?  Because games are most satisfying when I have to strive to achieve a goal.  In No Man's Sky, the goalposts come to you.  Is this even a game, or a procedural generated universe walking simulator?

I really hope future patches address my concerns.  I had such high hopes for this game.

What now? Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is almost finished downloading.  I plan to try to play it through without resorting to quicksave scumming.  Aside from that, I really don't know what to play next.

Elite: Dangerous is what I'd like to play, a game whose very core experience is a treat.  It is so immersive that it provides unparalleled escapism: you are a pilot in the Elite universe.  It would seem even moreso if I upgraded to full VR!
http://www.bagogames.com/elite-dangerous-horizons-review/
Once I get properly invested in Elite:Dangerous, I soon encounter the problem that defining a goal is hard for me to do.

At the start of the game, it seemed as though the goal is simply to accrue money so I could buy better ships.  Later on, there seems to be precious little credit earning advantage to get a better ship (with the obvious exception of cargo hauling with more cargo space).  Compounding the problem, better ships have a higher cost to own and operate, so I feel punished engaging in ship progression.  Since the credit:potency benefit drops off so sharply, perhaps I could say the point of earning credits is to unlock access to the experience of flying the different ships, as they certainly feel different to fly.  If that's so, maybe my goal should be to just buy and outfit them all?

For an alternative purpose, I could try to sway the political system of Elite: Dangerous.  The Power Play mechanic was a way to do this, albeit the chosen method of doing so is a repetitive grind.   The new mission bulletin board presents a different political respective to each solar system.  However, outside of Power Play, it seems like there is little or no gameplay ramifications to empowering different controlling factions.

I avoid the open play mode, the quasi-MMORPG multiplayer.  Some people would call a playerbase that cannibalizes itself to be an ultimate expression of open world freedom.  I reject that interpretation; all I see in open play is people ganking eachother for lack of anything better to do.

I am similarly trying to figure out if there might be a reason to get back into Fallout 4, especially with the upcoming release of Nuka World which I already paid for by getting the season pass not too long ago.

Maybe I would feel more invested in Fallout 4 if I could establish a sense of identity.  This is challenging because the skill system is little too dumbed down and diluted.  The Sole Survivor you control might initially have a build that defines them as a gunslinger or a sniper or such but, if you play the same character for long enough, you will accrue enough perk points to take all the perks that might matter to you, resulting in a very generic, do-anything hero.
The combat-centric nature of Fallout 4 may be its second greatest undoing.  The charm of VATS combat has completely worn off, and non-VATS combat is just an utterly shallow alternative.  Skyrim had better combat, even if it was an unbalanced mess at higher levels.  Fallout 4 keeps the unbalanced mess, but wasn't all that good to begin with.

The first greatest undoing of Fallout 4 is the constant inventory management.  Everything I loot must be managed carefully or my pockets will be full of junk in no time.  But junk is needed, so I feel compelled to loot everything.  Making settlements is the most interesting long-term goal and nearly everything you find can be recycled to these ends.  

Play long enough, and all the faults of the game come crashing down.  My generic, do-anything-hero is forced to overcome boring combat so he can be less the Sole Survivor and more the Sole Janitor, perpetually moving the junk of the wasteland through his inventory in a neverending quest to cobble together shantytowns.

In this way, both Elite: Dangerous and Fallout 4 make me wonder if I can figure out some way to play them that might find the fun I am missing.  With games of this size and depth, it is possible that the developers just accidentally engineered the games to appeal incorrectly to my sense of min:maxing, resulting in a path of least resistance to a lackluster experience.

But then I wonder if I really ought to be trying this hard to find a way to enjoy the games and should instead just look elsewhere... or actually make good on that aspiring indie game developer talk of mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…