Skip to main content

Apocolyptical Compromise

The niece and nephew have their own roof now, so I was able to have most of the weekend to myself.  Following last blog entry's trend, it went to Fallout 4.

I have settled my cognitive dissonance about how to build my character through compromise.  The point of contention was simple:
  • Should I prioritize taking perks that make playing my character more fun?
  • Should I instead prioritize perks that make my character more capable of overcoming the challenges in the game?
This could not be resolved conclusively on one side or another; ideally a character needs to be both fun AND capable of overcoming the challenges in the game.

So I did both.  Every time I gained an odd-numbered level, I chose a fun investment for my perk point.  The even-numbered level perk point were spent towards better overcoming the challenges in the game.  Although this bad for my efficiency in achieving either aims, it has nevertheless proven highly satisfactory for resolving what was essentially a psychological hangup on how to best play a game.

Now at level 22, wearing armor with decent ballistic protection, and possessing rank 3 of the Lifegiver perk, I seem to be surviving well in Survival Mode.  I still need to backtrack to find a bed when I have made significant progress, as I can still be overwhelmed by particularly nasty encounters, but getting one-shot killed happens less than earlier levels, owed partly to how many enemy spawns have fixed levels.

Of course, this being me, it was not long until I had another bit of indecision to resolve.  What main weapon type should I specialize?  Of the five types of weapons, I have narrowed it down to the three basic firearms, each tied to a perk:
  • The Gunslinger perk prioritizes semi-automatic pistols, and is good for spending a lot of time in V.A.T.S. because the action point cost of those attacks is somewhat small.  However, one-handed sidearms have a fairly low per-bullet damage, so you either supplement that with additional multipliers (critical hits and sneak attacks) or you won't last into the endgame just counting on pistols.  Another downside is that there is little variety of pistols in Fallout 4, a mere 12 weapons in the entire game (not counting unique variants) and the main tactile difference between them is whether or not they are revolvers
  • The Rifleman perk prioritizes semi-automatic rifles.  These are capable of the greatest per-shot damage in the game, which multiplies beautifully, but the V.A.T.S. action point cost is a bit higher (especially with a scope attached).  The variety of rifles are quite good, with 17 weapons to choose from, many feeling entirely different or specialized to operate at different ranges in different ways.  An important consideration in Survival Mode (which I am playing) is that the character's encumbrance limit is lower and rifles are heavier than pistols, so covering all ranges by lugging around both a shotgun and a sniper rifle is a costlier choice than in the other modes.
  • The Commando perk will work with most weapons capable of fully automatic fire (but not heavy weapons like miniguns). Auto fire has the highest cost per action in V.A.T.S., but typically fire three bullets per action.  Automatic fire is modeled with less damage per bullet, but collectively more damage overall, so you pay a steeper price in ammunition.  Bear in mind that, in Survival Mode, ammo has a carrying weight.  The variety of automatic weapons looks to be as low as pistols, but this is a little misleading because most pistols and rifles can be modified to become automatic. With a few perk points invested, automatic weapons can stagger foes, which (as experienced Skyrim players can tell you) makes a big difference in combat.
I definitely need to invest fully in at least one of these perks because this literally doubles the damage of the affected firearms.  That not only trivializes many combat encounters, it also makes ammo consumption much more efficient.  Despite the obvious benefits, I have been putting off this decision because there is no clear cut choice; all three weapon types have their ups and downs.
A heavy combat armor and assault rifle setup looks very formidable but, in Survival Mode, it is enough to floor many characters' encumbrance limits.
Again, I am left wondering if my interest in Fallout 4 will wane before I find my answer.  I have fallen into a pattern of setting out towards a quest destination, loading up on junk long before I get there, backtracking to the nearest settlement, unloading, building up the settlement a little, and resting to save my progress.

It is rather tedious.  The greatest problem with playing this way is that Fallout 4 was designed for the consumption of content (e.g. quests, NPC dialogue, and unique locations).  All this settlement building, creates a huge speed bump in front of that.  Yet, despite the tedium, as the territory of my settlements expands, progress is happening, quests are being reached, and this redeems my efforts somewhat.

I know that I do not truly have enough free time to keep doing this... but what exactly would I be doing instead?  For all the virtual world significance it provides (settlement building being a large part of that) Fallout 4is a tough act to top, and knowing this sours even my enthusiasm for indie development somewhat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…