Skip to main content

Hope You Brought The Cheese

To once again take my reddit post to summarize how the week went:
Progress wasn't great this week.  I planned to take Thanksgiving weekend to get an extra day off to code, but this was denied by the usual antics of my needy and disaster prone immediate family.  I know, that's not very gracious of me to say, but this happens often enough that I have developed a superstition that my game development results in karmic ramifications.  What could have been about 2 1/2 days of potential productivity became one, if I'm lucky, and it is quite frustrating for me.

From where I was on my long-winded (bordering on pretentious) previous comment from last week, I have made some progress in the evenings after work.  I mentioned how I busted my Virtual GM class down to a map generation class and needed to do some design work.  This week, after some design conceptualization, I ended up with a good understanding as how these Virtual GMs are supposed to work and what their role is supposed to be in the overall build of the program.

I recreated the Virtual GM class as a class that harnesses the spare clock-cycles between the moves in a turn-based game (via Unity's Coroutines) in order to scheme moves to perform on two important tangents: procedural generation within its domain, and the control of NPC agents under its control.  The end goal is that there will be multiple GMs, each with an agenda, each corresponding to a point for the player, each vying for control over the entire world.  It looks good on paper, although there is an obvious catch in syncing up the turns with what the Virtual GMs come up with, but it's something I think I might be able to do by passing the data through handlers.

Looking forward, what I need to do now is have the Virtual GMs spawn their first mobs and start doing things.  It's an exciting portion of development, since *meaningful things are about to happen,* but it is also one that invokes my altoholic unwillingness to commit, because I now have to make some serious decisions I am going to have to live with.

Basically, I have to define who these Virtual GMs really are, who are their agents, how do their agents act, and so on.  It's a bit of a problem because honestly there's just not enough dots to connect to know where to start.  So I'll have to perform the design/coding equivalent of a free write, and probably get it wrong a few times.  But that's okay, it's all in good practice, right?

I am thinking I might draw some inspiration from early civilization pantheons, but the ultimate goal is to have these Virtual GMs represent facets of what players look for in virtual worlds (more like Bartle Types) so there is a bit of crossover and role assignment there to settle.
The post doesn't really tell the half of it.  On Thanksgiving day, my sister and mom drove the sister's dog back to her apartment because my sister was offended that I was putting the dog in a cage because nobody was watching it and I was tired of finding dog piddle under my computer desk.  The weather was bad and, on the way back, they totaled the car, but fortunately nobody was seriously hurt.
If this isn't stamped upon my forehead, it ought to be.
During both Thanksgiving Day and the day after, I was pretty much forced to watch the young nephew and niece (early grade schoolers) when what I wanted to be doing was meet my destiny by creating the above mentioned game.  It didn't happen.  In fact, I was so thoroughly derailed by this disruption that, come Saturday when I actually had a day to myself, I was out of the habit of just booting up Unity and doing something and so I ended up spending half the day playing games and the other half moving furniture.

Objects of procrastination this weekend included:
  • Obsessing about how my nifty new refurbished monitor is utterly slowboating it here.  It might not be here for another week or two.  I'm kicking myself not for remembering to upgrade the shipping, and hoping it arrives in one piece.
  • Me and the nephew played episode 1 of Minecraft: Story Mode.  The production values were good, but I am nauseated by how Telltale Games apparently turns every one of their new games into a social-media infested Walking Dead episode.
  • Me and the nephew played Kaiju-A-GoGo for the first time.  Crossing X-Com with The Movie Monster Game?  Brilliant!  Too bad the actual smashing of the city is so ploddingly paced that I can't recommend it. 
  • For the sake of brevity, lets just say that me and the nephew played a lot of games over a period of some twenty hours this weekend.  I think I need to learn how to set stronger barriers.
  • I've apparently given up in Skyrim and am playing Divinity: Original Sin now.  I am encountering a bit of a catch22 where the "tactical" difficulty is more interesting but too hard, but the "normal" difficulty is not as interesting and too easy.  I hear this game looks great on a widescreen monitor...
  • I surprised myself by playing a bit of Elite: Dangerous's new Guardians update.  I'm far from being able to afford the Anaconda I'd need to enjoy using the new launchable fighter craft, but I bought the black friday skin for both that and my current Fer-De-Lance.  Running passengers seems to be the best way to make money right now... too bad my ship sucks at it.  I wasted so much time on this game today that I think I will hold off playing it again until I need to ogle it on my new monitor.
  • The Black Friday Steam sale was lovely.  So was the Humble Bundle Staff Picks: Nick sale.  Between them both, I ended up spending $45 for about $200 worth of games... none of which I ever have the time to play in my life.
I needed that extra day off, and am thoroughly disgusted I ended up with even less weekend to myself than usual.  Plus an important family asset was destroyed - my mom loved her van.  In terms of my project inertia being sabotaged, there's nothing for it but to get back up on that horse.  Hopefully I'll be left alone long enough that my introvert batteries can recharge and I can do so.  If not, I may have to take more severe measures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Sometimes, The Cat Skins You

The formula for cat girls is simple enough: young girls are cute, cats are cute, so young girls who are also cats are cute times two, right?  ... Cat Planet Cuties (a.k.a Asobi ni Iku yo) does not stop there, it includes girls with guns, nudifying weaponry, and even failed romantic comedy that shows lots of skin.  Cat's out of the bag: Cat Planet Cuties is basically straight up wish fulfillment.

The overall plot is pretty simple.  The Catians are a race so advanced that they have not changed in over 70,000 years.  They discover Earth, a planet whose people have uncanny resemblances, right down to speaking the same language!  Desiring an escape from their cultural stagnation, they rename their own planet from Earth to Catia and dispatch a scout to assess the viability of first contact with this new Earth inhabited by humans.  High jinks ensue.

Other than an excuse to see some fun sci-fi devices, the plot sucks. Let me count the ways:
Kio Kakazu - The male center of our harem, a 1…