Skip to main content

Doge Rogue, 1/2 days In

Doge Rogue is not like the usual concepts I overthink about.  I've opted to take a little vacation from those and derail into something deliberately silly in order to *practice finishing a game* for once.  

To these ends, and given I only had a weekend to do this, I'm using the excellent Rog Framework for Unity.  This means all the major parts of the roguelike game are pretty much already done before I've even started, including the tile engine, the pathing, the LOS, the AI, even the map generation.  After all, my goal is just to keep things as simple as possible so I can finish it within the weekend without getting distracted.

Outside of what I've been given, perhaps the most innovative thing I've done in the game is come up with procedural Doge speak.  As it turns out, it's pretty easy branching to build a string of inner monologue for a being whose thoughts might go, "Much damage.  So crit.  Wow!"  All the enemies similarly have been given flavor text customized for their attacks.  I've also added all the sprites for the enemies off of converted web assets.

After about 5 hours, I am pretty much done with the main flow of the gameplay, the maps, and adding the enemies.  Now I need to add the items, customize the UI, and tweak the balance.  Currently, most enemies are pretty much the same in game mechanics, but I've found I can do some fun things with a few minor changes.  For example, when Doge fights the Forever Alone meme the enemy does no damage but has a large hitpoint pool, pretty much encouraging the player to flee not because they have to but because they want to.  Forever alone indeed.  I plan to try to devise similar mechanics with the other mobs.

If the second day goes as swimmingly as the first, I hope to have my 7DRL released before that day is out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…