Skip to main content

Procrastination Intensifies

I am still dabbling with trying to get into Elder Scrolls Online.  Probably because this was the last week before I went back to part time hours.  The inner ape is in turmoil over a change of routine.  Unhappy inner ape equals difficulty staying on task.  Difficulty staying on task means increased procrastination.  If I absolutely must procrastinate, MMORPGs beat what idle hands would do with the Internet.

Pity, then, I've been miserable with trying to decide on a character to play in The Elder Scrolls Online.  Each of the five "classes" play with an over-the-top feel that has more form than substance.  It as though the designer psyched himself up with this kind of inner monologue when creating them:
Pee chee with doodles on it.
  • Dragonknight - DRAGONS ARE COOL! FIRE BREATH AND SCALES!  RRAWWWR!
  • Sorcerer - MAGIC IS COOL! LIGHTNING BOLTS AND DARK MAGIC!  ZAPPO!
  • Nightblade - ASSASSINS CREED IS THE BEST! SHADOWS AND HIDDEN BLADES!  STABBY!
  • Templar - PRIESTS ARE BORING, BUT WHAT IF THEY, LIKE, BURNED STUFF WITH THE SUN AND LIGHT SPEARS AND SHIZ!  SIZZLE!
  • Warden - GIANT BEARS! BEES! SPORES! NATURE ROX!
Just play these characters and try to tell me I am wrong.  Each ability is rigged like they were designed by somebody who never moved past a stage of their life involving doodling awesome on their high school Pee Chee.

Lets dial it back a bit and just say class choice comes down to, "Tone."  If only I could choose a tone and go with it, my problems would be solved.  Unfortunately, I could imagine myself identifying as any of these, while simultaneously being not particularly satisfied with how any of them "feel."  There is a certain disconnect in the core gameplay, a lack of tactile feedback, that leads to dissatisfaction in every option.

However, since I seem hell bent on trying to access the content of this game, I turned to identifying what gameplay mechanics I enjoy in MMORPGs.

In the past, when I played City of Heroes (may it rest in spectacular spandex peace) I made hundreds of "alt" characters, and the first one to finally make it to maximum level was one that combined "Illusion" and "Storm Summoning."  Why?  I decided it was because this was an unusually effective combination of three categories of things I look for in a character:
  • Variety Of Active Abilities - The more "toys" I have to play with, the less likely I am to get bored and move on to another character.
  • Difficulty To Master - Because the alternative is easily mastered and bores me quickly.
  • Effectiveness - Because it is gratifying to see my character is doing well.
Along these three categories, I should definitely know what to look for in the various classes in Elder Scrolls Online.
Fairly recent character selection guide, good for people who are less into over-thinking than myself.
But I dabbled with them all and they all seem roughly equal in those criteria:
  • Variety - The difference is minor. 
    • As others have noticed, magicka-focused characters get more class-based abilities, but you can only slot 12 things at a time anyway.  
    • By my count, Nightblades have greater overall utility and unique stealth mechanics.  
    • The Sorcerors' "Overcharge" ultimate give them a third hotbar.  
    • Wardens probably have the best overall variety, but not by much more than the class with the least.
  • Difficulty To Master - Difficult in what way? 
    • Opinions seem to vary on what the hardest class role is. 
    • An expert's assessment of maelstrom arena, puts the stamina-based classes on the harder end of the spectrum because "damage shields" greatly increase survivability, and the same applies to PvP.  
    • I often hear mastering rotations mentioned as a source of difficulty... but when there's only 12 abilities (plus a light and heavy attack) it seems to me that no rotation's skill requirement is beyond the time investment MMORPGs demand.
  • Effectiveness - This generally is not a problem unless the developers screwed the pooch on the balance.  I doubt it is as bad as the verbal minority would say; there is no truly ineffective character in this game.
It seems I won't be making any lasting decisions upon the game mechanic, the most important crux for me of a game.

I resorted to begging the reddit for an answer, and I received some great answers.  Summing up everybody's answer, there is no definitive solution to Elder Scrolls Online altoholicism.   I feel that this one in particular gets at the root of the problem:
Have to remember ESO is a simple game, there really isn’t any class that are hard to master and therefore not played much but once mastered more powerful than others.
I agree: ESO is a simple game. As such, it's unlikely I will ever be satisfied with a single character, the gameplay wears thin too quickly!

My best bet is probably just to embrace my altoholicism, have several characters, and just play whatever I am in the mood for.  In fact, the way that the three realms are laid out with unique content, I could probably enjoy three independent climbs with very little reiteration in content until I reach the end game.
http://www.elderscrollsguides.com/question/elder-scrolls-online-zone-levels/
With three separate progression paths for pre-50th level gameplay, I basically MUST alt to get to all the content.
There is one big downside of this lack of commitment: upgrading my bank slots benefits all my characters (who share that bank space), and I am pretty sure I can earn more money at higher levels.   But this same down side is also a strength: shared bank space means I can split up crafting responsibilities between those characters.

This game's RPG mechanic is just as frustrating now as it was last week, but the content remains just as appealing.  As soon as I am not being interrupted by more impromptu babysitting, I really ought to get back to doing something productive with my time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empyrion Vrs Space Engineers: A Different Kind Of Space Race

In my quest for more compelling virtual worlds, I have been watching Empyrion: Galactic Survival a lot this bizarro weekend, mostly via the Angry Joe Show twitch stream.  What I have concluded from my observations is Empyrion is following in Space Engineers' shadow, but it is nevertheless threatening the elder game due to a greater feature set (the modding scene notwithstanding).

Empyrion is made in Unity, whereas Space Engineers is built on a custom engine.  While this does put Empyrion at a disadvantage when it comes to conceptual flexibility, its developers nevertheless have a substantial advantage when it comes to adding features due to a savings of time spent that would have gone into developing their own engine.  Examples include:
Planets.  Empyrion already has planets and space to explore between them, whereas in Space Engineers planets are in the works but still awhile away (so you just have asteroid fields to scavenge).Enemies.  Space Engineers' survival mode boasts onl…

Resonant Induction Really Grinds My Gears... In A Good Way

From about 2pm yesterday until 8pm today, I've been dabbling with my latest custom mod mix for Minecraft 1.6.4, which is this time very much Universal Electricity focused.
Aside from the usual GUI enhancers and Somnia, the primary contenders in this mix were:
Calclavia Core - Of course: this is the base of the Universal Electricity system.Resonant Induction - This seems to be largely focused on increasingly more advanced methods of refining ores divided across 4 ages of technological progression.  It also includes some really cool things such as assembly lines.  I'll primarily be talking about just a few blocks out of this mod today.Atomic Science - A mod dedicated to generating more of those lovely universal electricity volts via the power of splitting the atom.  Build your own nuclear reactor!  Deal with nuclear meltdowns!  You maniac!ICBM - A mod dedicated to generating more destruction using those lovely universal electricity volts (and more than a little gunpowder), it cer…

Greasing The Grind: Adding Lasting Appeal To Virtual World Sandboxes

Game design, being about entertainment, is not as much science as art.  We're coming up with interesting things that the human mind likes to chew on that "taste" good to it.  Different people find different things, "Fun," and a game designer is tasked with coming up with fun, appealing things.  As pertains to virtual world sandboxes, I identified three of them.

Challenge Appeal.

Dwarf Fortress and Fortresscraft Evolved have the same end game appeal preservation mechanic: wealth equals threat.  The more money your Dwarf Fortress is worth, the bigger the baddies who will come for you, including a bunch of snobby useless nobles who do nothing but push dwarves around and eat.  The more energy you make in Fortresscraft Evolved, the more and bigger bugs come to shut down your base.  Rimworld does something a little different based off of which AI Storyteller you choose, but it generally adds time to your wealth accumulation when deciding what kind of threats to throw a…